free website stats program Virago rat bobber | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Virago rat bobber

Because i've worked at a body shop during the winters. If i'd get a rock in my paint i'd be fairly upset... Also on belt drive bikes you should know that a rock in the belt between the sprocket is the leading cause of having to replace it.... The yamaha is shaft drive... and i don't think i'd care if i got a chip in the (not so factory) paint.
Aside from that... I just pamper my harley, i keep it running the best i can (special thanks to Glider).. I have a lot invested into it, i enjoy it, love it, take care of it... And it takes care of me.... People have said i'm over protective about it, and it could be true... Then again, i wouldn't let anyone run my daughter down a path i didn't approve of either.

I pamper my Harley also and take care of it but I bought it to ride it and not look pretty. If it gets a paint chip it's not the end of the world, just touch it up. The odds of getting a rock between the pulley and belt are small and I'm willing to play those odds. JMHO

Right on... I'll post some pics next week...

I know its a HD site.. But its simply the best motorcycle forum i've found on the internet anywhere. So for all you die hard HD fans, i'll put a harley in the pics :p

Or you could just put a few drops of oil underneath it before you take the picture.
:D

100_0814.jpg

100_0815.jpg

100_0816.jpg

First one is after i removed the rear frame and bent a piece of metal to bolt on in place of it. Trying to keep it a soft tail with mono shock, and keep the adjustable air shocks etc. The other two pics show it with a seat sat on it and i'm tossing the idea around of that sissy bar i bent out of a piece of steel... Might weld it on before i take everything apart and paint it... Need to work on mounting all the wiring, rear lights, and changing the battery box, intake box (might go with a pair of pod filters).. I'll keep you posted :)

Good pixs. Looks like it will be a blast to ride. Keep us posted.

UPDATE
Today i got the tank off, carbs off, seen i will need new intake boots. Throttle assembly is locked up somehow... sprayed the needle/slides down with carb cleaner to sit over night and prolly won't get a chance to actually pull the carbs apart until next weekend. I did however get the tank cleaned, the two petcocks are functional, gas was NASTY and had obviously been sitting a while, suprisingly no rust in the tank. I was happy about that. What i could see of inside the heads was clean as a whistle, new looking clean. Put a battery in it to check out the starter. Engine cranks fine, starter wants to disenguage a lot like an old chevy with teeth missing in the flywheel. Hope i can pull the case and clean out the gear that hits the flywheel etc... Looks like these things have a wet clutch on the starter side, its a yamaharley engine made in japan. Going to hacksaw the pipes, pull the left side case and check out the starter gears. Then dig into the carbs, size the air intake size and look around on ebay for pod filters, see why the throttle motion is locked up, step up the pilots 1-2 sizes, and the main jets by .010 I got the wiring figured out, and tidied up, found the signal wires and tail light/brake lights etc... I think i'm gonna see about putting some wide "motocross" handlebars on it... Fairly straight, i think they'll look and feel good on it.

It sounds like you are heading in the right direction
getting an old bike going can be a bit challenge and get you hooked

Brian

Well.... I got the carb clean and re-assembled, tail light/ license plate light etc. mounted on the axle. Found a wiring diagram and went through it fairly decent, replaced all the vacum lines, took the tank emblems off and used body filler to start covering that up and repair the dents.... This confuses the (Edit) out of me, but there are vacum lines going right to the intake manifolds... I can't for the life of me figure out why, some kind of emissions thing perhaps? I tried starting it with the lines plugged, it will fire up, then immediatly die.. Then will not fire again until it sits for an hour or so.... Heres the thing that blew my mind.... I checked out the oil, it smelled like gas a tad, there was a gallon and a half to much oil in it... WOW.. Changed the plugs, changed the oil, still not running yet. Fairly sure i'm going to have this thing running within a month or two though.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering why you don't want to take your Harley on gravel roads? I do all the time and people think I'm nuts but I haven't figured out why I shouldn't ride on gravel.

I can't comment on your mental state, but I think people don't ride on gravel because it is icky.
Don't quote me on that though.:coffee

Back