free website stats program Vintage sportsters | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Vintage sportsters

I have my 1964 XLH i totally rebuilt in 1982 sold to a guy in 84, bought back in 93. asked him what he needed to do to it. replied rode it ,changed fluids, tires, sprockets, chains, brakes other than that nothing RODE IT, ya done good. I have done the valves since and she could use a set of rings, Just kick and go. Thats vintage sporty. The girls bike as it was called back in the day.:newsmile025:

Really sad when a big inch V-twin bike is called a girl's bike...vintage iron in an HD is hardly that! Think about the dirt track heritage of the V-twins vs the British twins in the day...

Hmm...add a little race fuel, beef up the internals a bit so they would not grenade, move the peg a bit forward that drags, take out the fluff gee "--hate those pesky brakes anyway...!" And ya had a race bike...

Now, if only the rider would...heh-heh "man-up a bit to ride the thing..." it would get out of it's own way. Oh yeah can't forget the some steel plated boots, to help throttle steer it, a leather football hat to keep the noise of the crowds and the bark of the engine down, what?...goggles to keep the rocks outta the eyes...okay, but I can still see the track right?

Last edited:
iv herd 79 is an oddball and impossible to find parts for lol not real sure but think its one year to avoid ;-)

Hello. I'm looking to get myself a vintage sportster. now after looking for Sportsters made from the year 1975-1987 i have noticed that there are 2 kinds of engines the Iron head and the EVO. i was just wondering which engine was better more reliable. and most important easy to fix and to learn how to fix. and just any other knowledge a person could pass on to me about Sportsters in this year range.

Clay

If you want to look at an old sportster look here at C. Dolans' Post #9

http://www.hdtimeline.com/sportster_models/16677-oldest_sportster_here.html

Back