free website stats program VINERR on used speedo... | Harley Davidson Forums

VINERR on used speedo...

FLHXSrider

Contributor
So yesterday I installed a "new to me" set of black gauges originally off my friend's 2016 Road Glide Ultra. Install went good but when I turned on my bike, it displayed the mileage (from his bike and found out I need to ride to to have it match the mileage stored in my ECM) briefly and then changed to "VINERR" (sorry about the brightness on the pic) Other than that it seems to work find. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on this and what is out there seems to be somewhat speculative. I'm hoping someone here has seen this. From what I can tell, the VIN is stored in the speedo to prevent someone from tricking the buyer by selling a high mileage bike with a low mileage speedo. My dealer is "looking into it" but was supposed to call me back 2 days ago. Does anyone know if it will clear itself after I ride, or will I have to get a Dealer to set the VIN in the speedo with Digital Technician?

Attachments

• BlackGaugeVINERR.JPG
    BlackGaugeVINERR.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 11
I believe this has been covered here before and if memory serves me this has to be done at the dealership so as to get the milage correct.

I believe this has been covered here before and if memory serves me this has to be done at the dealership so as to get the milage correct.
OK, I did search for VINERR before I posted this and couldn't find anything. As best I can tell, the mileage will be pulled from the ECM after riding about 31.5mi.

From what I remember, the ECM has to be matched to the changed odometer by a auth. HD dealer. Seems strange to me a dealer did not know that right off. But then he might have been a VW service writer last week.

I am going with other post about dealer reset. I was confused with VINERR. Then figured it out to be Vin Error. Never heard of a reset on it's own(31.5 mi.) To long of a day lol.
tourbox

Back