Views on 1998 883

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by hillcountryflt, Jun 2, 2010.

1. hillcountryflt

hillcountryflt Member

I am considering purchasing a 1988 883 to keep me going while I work on my shovel and to provide the wife something to ride. Plus, heck I would like to ride something entirely different and lighter than the 850 pound gorilla I ahve now. The bike is from the same guy I bought the shovel and it was put up pretty good. It has sat for about 7 years, it has 16k miles on it and a lot of chrome eagle bling.
    Generally, was this a good year for sportsters? Yeah, I know bumping it to a 1200 would be nice, but initially, I would just want to get it running and use it for my commuter bike while working on the shovel.
    The purchase price is very reasonable and I anticipate battery, tires, changing oils, getting manuals will cost me about $700. At that point I will still be below what a lot of people think is a good buy.
    I believe the power plant/trans is pretty much stock. Shorter rear shocks are installed. It has both a one-up and a two-up seats with a sissy bar.
    Bad choice? Good idea? Just keep working on the shovel?

2. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I like sportsters also and a 1998 should not hold any real issues the solid mount evo sportsters had a lot of changes in 1994 which sorted out most of the problems of the earlier models and any changes between 1994 and 2004 were only minor adjustments on a year by year basis
    id say good bike to have just make sure you have the correct service manual for that year

Brian

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Always had a soft spot for Sportsters, good machines and fun to hot rod:D

4. hillcountryflt

hillcountryflt Member

Well going to go ahead and get the sportster. Looking forward to something completely different from my 82 shovelhead to work on and drive. Hope to pick it up in a couple of weeks.
    With luck I should be able to always have at least one scooter running.