free website stats program Victim of hit & run. Guy offers to pay out of pocket (srs) | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Victim of hit & run. Guy offers to pay out of pocket (srs)

Re: Victim of hit & run. Guy offers to pay out of pocket (srs) In

Take a wrecked Bike to HD dealer

Is there a particular reason you say this?

Tops can answer in his own words - but JMO - Your "mom & Pop's" shop may not be able to go with OEM HD parts on the rebuild and your estimate will most likely be aftermarket & potentially be cheap "knock-off" parts. Another reason is who is to say - if you have the work done at the M&P shop that they will be in business down the road or if MoCo will authorize them for the repairs - yes I know some HD shops are closing up BUT by having a authorized HD facility do the estimate and repairs , you'll have it on record thru HD and if MoCo has to get involved on any issue down the road,well you have all the official HD paperwork right there.

Tops can answer in his own words - but JMO - Your "mom & Pop's" shop may not be able to go with OEM HD parts on the rebuild and your estimate will most likely be aftermarket & potentially be cheap "knock-off" parts. Another reason is who is to say - if you have the work done at the M&P shop that they will be in business down the road or if MoCo will authorize them for the repairs - yes I know some HD shops are closing up BUT by having a authorized HD facility do the estimate and repairs , you'll have it on record thru HD and if MoCo has to get involved on any issue down the road,well you have all the official HD paperwork right there.
I had to look up real quick what MoCo was. :lero

This place is an authorized seller of OEM HD parts, so I am assuming that is what they use on any repairs they have. How much does it matter if it is MoCo friendly anyways?

I had to look up real quick what MoCo was. :lero

This place is an authorized seller of OEM HD parts, so I am assuming that is what they use on any repairs they have. How much does it matter if it is MoCo friendly anyways?

First of all, I wouldn't assume anything. Ask very pointed questions about what parts are included in the estimate.

Second, I guess being MoCo friendly isn't important at all as long as you don't expect the same MoCo to stand behind anything that's done at the local shop. I'm not 100% certain that being an authorized seller of parts is the same as being an authorized repair facility.

Have to agree with Smitty here. If you want someone to check out damage and to bring the bike back to specs, you need to take it to the people who know exactly what can and cannot be repaired. If you want HD to stand behind your purchase, you need to trust the HD experts.

Im glad I went to the Dealer for my repairs, OEM on a new bike you bet plus as Smitty said they know your bike and know what to look for and will give a higher estimate as they will be using genuine HD parts and if anything is bent they have the jigs to check it JMO:s

I hate you guys. :p

I took it to this place because it was gonna be over a week til the HD dealer could even LOOK at the bike, and having previous experience with them before they don't exactly provide prompt service. I took it in for servicing and it took them a week and a half to fix a seemingly small problem and do the service. I can't imagine the time it would take to fix all the exterior stuff with waiting for parts and painting and anything else. Riding season would be over by the time I got my bike back.

I took it to this place because it was gonna be over a week til the HD dealer could even LOOK at the bike, and having previous experience with them before they don't exactly provide prompt service. I took it in for servicing and it took them a week and a half to fix a seemingly small problem and do the service. I can't imagine the time it would take to fix all the exterior stuff with waiting for parts and painting and anything else. Riding season would be over by the time I got my bike back.

It took 16 weeks to get my sheet metal , but it was new OEM with HD paint:s

Your "mom & pop's" shop is just doing an est. correct? Is the Ins. Co. wanting more than just 1 est. of repairs? JMO - I would still get a est. from a HD shop regardless.

Back