free website stats program vibration | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

vibration

Changed spark plugs yesterday. Runs notably better but no change in Vibration. Checked torque on front steering nut. no change. Checked transmission bolts. Checked wheels and tires. I'm at a loss! Have checked everything everyone has suggested and find nothing that makes a difference?
The person who had a cam needle bearing go bad, how many miles were on your bike? Mine has 38,000.
Before yesterday, Changed handlebar grommets twice (me once and Certified mech.) Changed front engine mount 3 times, 3 different type of mounts. Changed all fluids, checked for shavings in drained fluids and checked primary chain. Checked swingarm mount torque. Checked for overfill of oil (use Amzoil). Checked for engine touching frame. Found nut missing on exhaust bracket behind rear cylinder head, replaced. Installed new brake pads.
The vibrations seems to be more in the front??
Have Rheumatoid arthritis and can't ride far with this vibration. Can't afford to take it to the dealer again who can't seem to figure it out either?
Open to more suggestions.
Thanks everyone! Bob

Bob,

I had 61K miles on my bike when the cam bearing went bad. I still think it should have not happened at that low of mileage but it did.

I may have missed this in your post, but have you checked the fluid level in the forks? Did you use factory front motor mount or aftermarket? I bought an aftermarket one once and installed it upside down...really vibrated until I flipped it over.

Also, this may sound crazy, but have you recently adjusted the positioning on the handle bars (forward or back) don't know if it will make a difference but I have heard of folks tilting them back or forward and noticing a change in vibrations?

Have checked all engine mounts, swing arm torque. Engine not touching frame. Exhaust mount behind rear head was missing nut, fixed. All fluid levels ok. Going to change the plugs and check the steering bearing nut today. Thanks so much! Hope I find it soon.

Steering nut ok. plugs new, no change. Ordered new front wheel bearings and rotors. Still searching for cause.

Pretty disgusted with those that say it's a Harley. I have ridden this bike nearly 25,000 miles and it did not vibrate this bad before. I guess those of you telling me "it's a Harley" think I should ride a metric?

I truly do appreciate the help and suggestions from those who are actually trying to help!

Is the vibration more profound at different speed or gear? Do you feel it more while acceleration, coasting, cruising speed, when clutch is engaged or do it make any difference.

Pretty disgusted with those that say it's a Harley. I have ridden this bike nearly 25,000 miles and it did not vibrate this bad before. I guess those of you telling me "it's a Harley" think I should ride a metric?

I just reread every single post in this thread and not one single member of this forum has said that. I sure hope you were referring to someone else. You've gotten nothing but sincere, helpful advice in this thread.

I just reread every single post in this thread and not one single member of this forum has said that. I sure hope you were referring to someone else. You've gotten nothing but sincere, helpful advice in this thread.

Dr. D

I think the reference was to some of the answers he has gotten from dealers, but I could be wrong.

We also have to account for frustration factor, I think we all know what it is like to chase a problem that you know exists but can't figure out the cause, and the so called experts just say...well it is a harley.

Yes when I said I was told "it's a Harley" was by more than one dealer/ person but no one here. Everyone has been helpful and friendly here. Thank you all for your help and friendlyness. Please forgive my comment. I only meant to explain my situation and frustration.

Vibration is constant, worse when idle but most annoying at highway speed. my Harley Road King Classic has always vibrated some at idle but did not at highway speed. Mirrors/grips did not shake but now do.

I have done everything suggested except checking fork oil level and cam bearings. Have never checked fork oil but will read service manual. Is there a way to check cam bearing without teardown?

I am very frustrated and looking at bikes. Also thinking of weighting handlebars to mask vibration.

Thanks Everyone!

I'm going to ASK this .........

DOES the bike vibration keep on When (lets say doing 40 MPH and vibrating) the Clutch is pulled in????

IF NO vibration is there, It is Probably in the motor... IF the vibration is still there it is Probably a front tire/tyre:D

Now that is what I'm thinking without re-reading the whole thread.

signed....BUBBIE

I will check to see if it still vibrates when going 40 mph and pull in the clutch. I can't seem to remember right now, I have checked so much and tried so much. I thought my tires would do for another summer but if that might be the cause I will put on new. I'll check out the afore mentioned test first. If it's the motor I'll be buying a bike instead of tires.

I'll let you all know what I find. I truly appreciate everyones help. If any more ideas, please post.
Thanks
Bob

the vibration is still there at 40 mph when I engage the clutch. or at 30 or 50.

=====================================================

The vibration is less at higher RPMs but still there.

=====================================================

Last edited by a moderator:
Back