free website stats program vibration | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

vibration

I would do a visual of the motor mounts. Then check the torque and on the rear swing arm. If you have a warranty take it in. I'm not familar with fairings but I would check over everywhere you bolted the fairing back up to make sure nothing is wrong there. Also look your tires over real good for any bulges or knots.

This IS a great place to also start. Good catch R_W_B.

The faring MAY be touching the engine so it WILL shake.. The engines are Rubber mounted and Need to touch NOTHING or they You Know... Vibrate

signed....BUBBIE

Going back to "what has been done recently"? I'd be suspicious of a plug wire not pushed on fully, damaged plug wire, improperly gapped or damaged plug. Any other components fiddled with? Loose or poorly connected fuel injector plug, ECM plug, battery connections.

If you don't wrench yourself, you might check with the shop, discus the situation and see if they'd re-check their work.

i couldnt swear to it, but even when idling the vibration feels rougher and more noticable then it did before.

Check the exhaust bracket behind the rear head.
They have a habit of cracking.

There have been some really good suggestions and you need to check them out starting with the simple ones. The motor mount and plug wires are a good place to start. If the front mount has failed or hardened it can let the motor shift forward and touch the frame. I loose plug wire will cause a lose of power and vibration. The drive belt if not tight enough can cause some pretty bad vibration, but not a lose of power. I have seen plugs that were cracked when installed and run great for a while and then go bad. Keep us posted on your progress.

I have the same bike as yours with 23,000 miles. I would suggest to recheck fairing brackets. On mine the second one broke a month and 900 miles later. I also experienced the same vibration in fairing both times that brackets broke.

From here it sounds as tho you have a miss in the engine. I would get it warmed up a bit first. What rpm does it idle at? Less than 1000? I would use a rubber band around the throttle grip and brake lever to get the rpm @ 1000. Now pull one of the plug wires. How far does the rpm drop? Does the engine die? Reinstall that wire and do the same thing with the other wire. Don't worry about setting codes during this, you can take care of that later. This will either eliminate the engine as the problem or it will point you to which cylinder is acting up. Keep us updated.

From here it sounds as tho you have a miss in the engine. I would get it warmed up a bit first. What rpm does it idle at? Less than 1000? I would use a rubber band around the throttle grip and brake lever to get the rpm @ 1000. Now pull one of the plug wires. How far does the rpm drop? Does the engine die? Reinstall that wire and do the same thing with the other wire. Don't worry about setting codes during this, you can take care of that later. This will either eliminate the engine as the problem or it will point you to which cylinder is acting up. Keep us updated.

GREAT suggestion... Better than my duct-tape.. Thanks

May I add, Careful on pulliing or handling the wires to the spark plugs.... You will find when One is pulled off, the SPARK May JUMP around and ZAPPPPPP you. It does have quite a Jolt...

Look at Hoople's avitar, He used to look normal Before he got that Spark Plug JOLT...:rofl

signed....BUBBIE

want to thank everyone for all their information. havent had time to check everything yet but when and if i can find the problem i will let you know. if i cant solve the problem then will take it to my mechanic, but hoping its something i can repair. thanks again, and you all are a bunch of great guys

Back