free website stats program Vibration when leaning right | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Vibration when leaning right

I have the cast wheels could it be the rim itself thats bad.

Unlikely unless whoever changed the tire damaged the rim.

Raise the front of the bike and spin the tire. Look at it from the front to see if it is spinning true. Look at the and listen to the brake rotor spinning in the caliper. Steady noise or periodic "shushing" sound as it spins?

Let us know.

TQ

If you can get the front wheel off the ground and give it a spin. Listen for bearing noise and look for rim runout. You should also see how much end play you have. While you have the bike in the air do the same for the rear.

I have the cast wheels could it be the rim itself thats bad.

I'd check to see IF the wheel and New tyre/tire runs true..... Did the new tire get Balanced on a machine???

IF the rim/wheel has hit something before the change out of tire and Shows damage it is Probably the rim...

New wheel bearings are Just NEW not meaning they are always Good..

But you saying that it did this before the NEW stuff added later, Leads me to suspect the Wheel/rim..

signed....BUBBIE

Jack the front wheel up off the ground. Putty knife the brake pads back into the calipers a few thousands of an inch so the wheel will spin freely without ANY brake pad drag.

Spin the tire and look for any irregularities. The rim should be Very true. Look at runout in both horizontal and vertical planes. Spin the wheel while you cup your hand over the tire (letting your palm drag on the tire) and feel for any irregular tread or lumps anywhere in the tire. The bearings should be dead silent. There should be NO wheel hub side play (that you can feel with your hand),, along with no bearing noises. A piece of 20# printer paper is .003" thick. That is just about the max endplay you really ever want to see,, so we are looking for a small amount that would be considered acceptable.

Man you guys are fast. I started wring when it was only 1 page. My info is redundant.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wheel was balanced and bearings repacked at hd dealer.Brake pads constant on rotors but there is a alternating squeak cant figure just where its coming from yet.no movement on tire everything seems tight.Have to check that little sqeak.

Brake pads constant on rotors but there is a alternating squeak cant figure just where its coming from yet.no movement on tire everything seems tight.Have to check that little sqeak.

Have you checked out the run out on the rotors?

no i havent checked the run out on rotors but they seem to make the same noise when spinning the tire just constant.took the chrome off wheels see old dirty grease on the outside unless dealer didnt clean when they did all this before.

Uh-oh, maybe they did ONLY a repack of the bearings and did not clean the old grease out to inspect them first. You may have found your problem.:sd

They may have also not installed the wheel properly or let something drag, like splash shield in belt drive area, or spacers improperly seated or aligned causing things to contact when you have the bike heeled over. :(

Back