free website stats program Very weird trans/rear brake problem. | Harley Davidson Forums

Very weird trans/rear brake problem.

myblutuscani

Ok, this is my first post here but i have been on other forums and have done hours of earching to find nothing relating to my very unusual issue. I won't give a long backstory, so my problem is that if I use the rear brake heavily it seems as though it causes the trans to shift. It has done thin a handful of times and is very strange. I always have the clutch in when it hppens, but there is no other way to describe what I feel and hear. My bike is a 2010 wide glide. The clutch is adjusted properly. I also have a very hard time getting into second at high RPM. I know that my shifter pawl could use an adjustment but i have not had time to do it as of yet. Any insight would be a godsend.

Ok, this is my first post here but i have been on other forums and have done hours of earching to find nothing relating to my very unusual issue. I won't give a long backstory, so my problem is that if I use the rear brake heavily it seems as though it causes the trans to shift. It has done thin a handful of times and is very strange. I always have the clutch in when it hppens, but there is no other way to describe what I feel and hear. My bike is a 2010 wide glide. The clutch is adjusted properly. I also have a very hard time getting into second at high RPM. I know that my shifter pawl could use an adjustment but i have not had time to do it as of yet. Any insight would be a godsend.

Sorry I have more questions than answers on this but......

2010 - purchased from dealer or individual ( warranty ??)
Heavy rear brake usage -- is that meaning you use the back brake more than front or "locking up" the rear tire heavy?
Clutch adjusted properly -- is that the clutch pack or the cable?
High RPM shift into second -- maybe Im off base here but I always thought higher RPM's would ease the shifting during clutch problems. ?
Any case , dont think the brake and tranny would coinside with each other in the way your talking other than when the bike is lugged down and lurching but not actually shifting itself. Im sure someone on HDT will chime in and help you get this sorted cause I could be all wet with what I posted!!!!

Here's something sorta off the wall but do you have your foot over the shifter when you're braking? Could you possibly be heavy on the shifter and when you hard brake your body weight leans down on it? The shift may happen when the rpms sinc to the vehicle speed. Just thinking out loud.

I won't give a long backstory, so my problem is that if I use the rear brake heavily it seems as though it causes the trans to shift. It has done thin a handful of times and is very strange. I always have the clutch in when it hppens, but there is no other way to describe what I feel and hear.

Anti-lock brakes!

Thanks for the responses. I'll try and answer the questiond posed.

The rear brake problem is mainly a slow speed problem. I have my foot on the left peg, I have locked up the rear once trying to avoid a cager running a stopsign (unsuccesfully, i was hit slightly on my rear fender causing me tro drop the bike). This was happening before that incedent. The bike was purchased new and i declined an extended warranty due to plans for a lot of motor work, that this little problem has put a hold on. I have adjusted both the clutch pack and cable per manual. Like i said the clutch is in when this happens as well, and both brakes are used just heavier than a normal stop with the rear.

I was poking around yesterday and my front isolator is shot. The rear however looks good. I've heard that the rear mount being bad could cause the trannt pan to hit the frame, would this cause a shift if it hits hard enough? I have almost 2 months worth of a layoff coming after the holidays so i have all the time in the world to check stuff, just hope it wont be too expensive.

anything prior to the wreck happen?
if the bike was purchased new , wouldnt you still have some factory warranty left being a 2010?
you say you have your foot on the LEFT peg??? sitting on the bike that's the shifter isnt it?

If the trans. is moving enough to notice, you should check everything connected to the swing arm pivot. Isolators, bolts etc. Get the rear wheel off the ground so you can easier find flex.

if I use the rear brake heavily it seems as though it causes the trans to shift.

You say it "seems" to have shifted, but you never say that it actually did shift a gear. What your experiencing is the sound & feel that a shift has taken place but it really doesn't change ratios, does it?

Lets establish if the gearbox is actually changing ratios. If the gearbox shifts on its own,is it an upshift or a downshift. And if so, from what gear to what gear.

What kind of "shift" are we talking about?? When you hit the brake hard the trans. shifts into a different GEAR, or the transmission shifts physically side to side?

What kind of "shift" are we talking about?? When you hit the brake hard the trans. shifts into a different GEAR, or the transmission shifts physically side to side?

:s Very good question Breeze:s This could make sense

Back