free website stats program very hard starting | Harley Davidson Forums

very hard starting

mikecmc

I own a 2007 ultra classic with 68,000 miles on it. I had just replaced the main shaft bearings and seal, :( was leaking because the bearing was wiped out. I got everything back together and it is very hard to start. I've killed the battery a couple of times trying to start this thing. I replaced the starter relay and the darn thing just takes too long to start. Plugs are fairly new, wires are screaming eagle. Just lately it takes too much from the battery to start. It should start in 1 second but its getting harder and harder to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the obvious question is how did it start prior to the work you've done? any mods or other recent work done lately? How old is your battery?

Maybe a little more info would be helpful.

I believe you removed the ground cable from its mount by the starter when you did the main shaft work. Double check that the cable has a good connection. After that, I would get the battery checked.

I own a 2007 ultra classic with 68,000 miles on it. I had just replaced the main shaft bearings and seal, :( was leaking because the bearing was wiped out. I got everything back together and it is very hard to start. I've killed the battery a couple of times trying to start this thing. I replaced the starter relay and the darn thing just takes too long to start. Plugs are fairly new, wires are screaming eagle. Just lately it takes too much from the battery to start. It should start in 1 second but its getting harder and harder to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Mike

Checking all your battery connections and having the battery load tested are good ideas. When you say that it takes too long to start, does it turn over freely or does it seem sluggish? When you replaced the bearing and seal and reinstalled the inner primary did everything slip back together? Does your bike have the auto adjust primary chain tensioner or is it the manual type? The more information you can give us the easier it will be for us to determine what's going on. Remember even though your battery shows 12.7 volts (full charge) it still may have a weak cell.

Do you mean it spins good but does not fire? Have a look at the crank sensor and consider a fuel pressure test if it spins over good

Back