free website stats program very frustrated | Harley Davidson Forums

very frustrated

Davidw2415

my bike is intermittently making a rattle noise sometimes quite loud. Seems to be more prevalent on decel., idol and low speed coasting. I've listened with my stethoscope and just my ear to all part of the motor and I've grabbed and shaken everything and I just can't find the source of the noise.

sounds like a bolt is loose somewhere,heat shield on the exhaust?just a guess.check all aftermarket parts that have been installed after that check everything you have taken off reassembled

I chased a maddening rattle for a couple of months myself. It turned out my quick detach backrest and rack were a little loose on the lugs. I couple of wraps of teflon tape around the lugs took care of the problem. I have to replace the tape every 3,000 miles or so. Good Luck.

I chased a maddening rattle for a couple of months myself. It turned out my quick detach backrest and rack were a little loose on the lugs. I couple of wraps of teflon tape around the lugs took care of the problem. I have to replace the tape every 3,000 miles or so. Good Luck.
Yep, gas tank bolts...battery clamp, foot pegs, shifter linkage, fender bolts, trim. I pull in the clutch to see if it is the motor and choose a small bump to determine if it is a nuisance rattle.

Have you checked the charging system? Could this have the bolt together rotor ? Open the derby cover and have a smell

I had 09 super glide with a aftermarket air filter,it was sort of cone shaped and the stock cover bolted to the center of it. Now not knowing much about the bike, I heard a rattle but couldn't find it and the center, where the cover bolt screwed to the filter ,broke out of two filters.On the third filter I found that the cover was vibrating and causing the filter center to break out. I hope that you find your rattle before something breaks. Those K&N filters weren't cheep.

So it was a cool rainy day; good day to work on the Fatboy. I pulled the primary cover and checked chain play, it was at 7/8th's the upper end of spec. adjusted it down to
5/8th's. checked compensator nut; it was loose so I re torqued it to 75FT/lbs. Put it back together started up and took it for about a ten minute wet ride and it sounds like it did the day I got it.

Just a tip. go to your local paint supply and pick up so paper cone paint strainers. They have a nice wide mouth and you can shape the to get into certain areas then you can see any material the shouldn't be there, I didn't see any in mine.

11/2 inch socket $8.00
Formula + $9.00
Primary Casket $35.00
Information from this forum Priceless, But when I get a chance to get out and pick up a prepaid credit card I'll be updating my Donater status.

Back