free website stats program Very Close Call | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Very Close Call

Another good tip is to keep hitting your brakes so the coming up behind you will (hopefully) see your brake lights.

I do the same. always in 1st gear at the light and look in the mirrors and keep hitting brakes if i see a car coming. i should also leave some room in front me too now.

Yep got a bad habit of kicking into neutral at lights.I always have one eye in the mirror and do pump the brakes.

The exact reason I purchased the Flasher tail light. I had one close call and even conversed with the car driver who said he saw the truck in front of me, but NEVER saw me. I too had room to take evasive action and move out of the way. I tap the front brake at lights to activate the flasher whenever I see approaching cars. It gets seen.

EMCMTONY, I had the exact same incident 1 week ago! I wasn't at a light but waiting for a vehicle 3 cars up to turn left.I heard that bone chilling scream of 4 tires sliding up behind me and I didn't even look back,I just jumped ahead to the right of the car in front of me.I only had a couple of feet of room and just cleared the r/rear fender w/my handlebar cause there was a very deep hole on my right,if I would have had to put my right foot down I would have been in trouble.When I looked in the mirror I could just see the front of the car in the tire smoke about a foot from the bumper of the car that I was behind.I didn't have room to put my stand down and give this clown the lecture that he deserved so when the traffic started moving this idiot took that left and avoided what probably would have gotten me in trouble.Keep it in 1st,watch your mirrors and thank God for every safe ride you get.

Glad that worked for you. These posts are helpful reminders to develop self preservation habits instinctively. Thanks for sharing.

Close call but a good one...well done and as the saying goes a very heads up move! It is good to stay in 1st and slightly off to left or right, only put it in neutral if the car behind you has stopped and the stop light is excessively long (very common if it is one of those weight or proximity activated stop lights). :s

Last edited:
I have never taken my bike out of first at a light (or any other stop on the road for that matter). One of the things I am most leary about is what's coming up behind me. I ALWAYS check my mirrors and ALWAYS keep my foot or hand on the brake so my brake light is on. I often ride at night and on roads where there are few if any streetlights so I have learned to always be aware of what's behind me.

No, holding the clutch in means the clutch is disengaged from the flywheel and no clutch drag if it is properly adjusted.

Back