Very Close Call

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by emcmtony, Sep 22, 2009.

1. emcmtony

emcmtony Member

While at a red light, minding my own business, enjoying the nice day, I heard a screaching sound behind me. A quick glance in the mirror showed a car coming up behind me. Luckily I left room between me and the car ahead and was off a little to the ride side. I was able to pull up on the right of the car just before the car behind me was in the spot I had just vacated. Always leave it in first....if I had to shift, not sure I would have made it.

2. threesteps

threesteps Junior Member

Way to go. Glad you made a great heads-up move.

3. FLHXTom29715

FLHXTom29715 Active Member

Glad you made it safe and sound, one of the thing's they teach you in the MSF is to keep it in 1st and watch your mirrors.

4. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

Hmmm, maybe I ought to start doing that. I always shift to neutral because sometimes the red lights seem like they are never going to come to an end and keeping the clutch squeezed in seemed like an inconvenience. But it sure gave you the jump on that cager coming right towards you!
    Don't squealing tires all around you just scare the daylights outta ya? :D

5. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

Way to keep up on what's going on around you.

6. harley man

harley man Member

Glad they missed you I was rear ended while stopped at a red light, makes you start looking a little better

7. Gezzer Glide

Gezzer Glide Active Member Contributor

Glad you got out of the way. I have a bad habit of kicking it into neutral at a stop light. Gotta stop doing that.

8. futurerider

futurerider Active Member

Good job, this is one of my biggest fears. I try to leave space, stay in gear and look in the mirrors. You just validated it for me.

Glad you are okay

9. LEE HEIN

LEE HEIN New Member

Another good tip is to keep hitting your brakes so the coming up behind you will (hopefully) see your brake lights.

10. psicard

psicard New Member

i had a crash like that 3 years ago.24,000$ of damage.the good news a new harley