free website stats program Very Close Call | Harley Davidson Forums

Very Close Call

emcmtony

While at a red light, minding my own business, enjoying the nice day, I heard a screaching sound behind me. A quick glance in the mirror showed a car coming up behind me. Luckily I left room between me and the car ahead and was off a little to the ride side. I was able to pull up on the right of the car just before the car behind me was in the spot I had just vacated. Always leave it in first....if I had to shift, not sure I would have made it.

Glad you made it safe and sound, one of the thing's they teach you in the MSF is to keep it in 1st and watch your mirrors.

Glad you made it safe and sound, one of the thing's they teach you in the MSF is to keep it in 1st and watch your mirrors.
Hmmm, maybe I ought to start doing that. I always shift to neutral because sometimes the red lights seem like they are never going to come to an end and keeping the clutch squeezed in seemed like an inconvenience. But it sure gave you the jump on that cager coming right towards you!
Don't squealing tires all around you just scare the daylights outta ya? :D

Glad you got out of the way. I have a bad habit of kicking it into neutral at a stop light. Gotta stop doing that.

Good job, this is one of my biggest fears. I try to leave space, stay in gear and look in the mirrors. You just validated it for me.

Glad you are okay

Another good tip is to keep hitting your brakes so the coming up behind you will (hopefully) see your brake lights.

Back