venting problem

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by rhino, Apr 19, 2009.

1. rhino

rhino Banned

was riding with a buddy the other day and stopped for a beer and noticed gas running out the rubber overflow hose. then popped the fuel cap and the tank was pressured. sounds like a venting problem to me but im not familiar with his bike and how its vented and if the cap is vented. he has a 06 sporster custom, carbureted. any advice will be appreciated.

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Replace the cap. It has the vent built into the underside.

3. kyhdman

kyhdman Active Member

glider my softtail does the same thing if i fill it up while leaned on kick stand .if i fiil it up standing upright it does not do it ??

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

If it's leaking out the overflow tube, check the gas cap gasket too. If there's pressure , it's usually the vent.

5. kyhdman

kyhdman Active Member

thanks

6. rhino

rhino Banned

thats where were gonna start. just one more question out of curiosity. is the venting and fuel feed any different with fi?

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

Very broad question as far as "fuel feed" ? but the venting should be about the same.

8. rhino

rhino Banned

thanks glider, swapped caps and no problems so far. cant get many miles on today were dodging downpours. new fuelcap was on his list anyway, now he just has to pick one. thanks again.