free website stats program Vance & Hines true duals problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Vance & Hines true duals problem

lcaporaso

Im looking for some help. I installed the true dual header pipes and V & H ovals. I also put a SE air filter in. I have a power commander III USB and have been trying to find the correct map. It seems as thought the bike is running great except that the rear cylinder header pipe is "cherry red" at various throttle positions usually at higher RPM's. The heat is rediculous as well as my concerns for the piston. I am aware that the engines are lean from the factory but thought the PC would compensate for that. I pulled the plugs out and they appear to be perfect with no signs of overheating from a lean condition. Has anyone experienced this symptom? I also thought that the severe bend in the pipe would make this happen. Help!

You can't rely on the plugs to tell the story like they used to with todays fuels. The PC will help with the heats issue but ONLY if the correct map is downloaded.

Tell us exactly what mods you have and maybe we can help come up with a map that works better for you. Also, if you are looking at that pipe at night it may very well be red hot at some point. You may have to tweak whatever map you decide to use by changing individual cells to add more fuel at those higher RPM's to reduce the heat some.

I have an 03 Ultra Classic. Stock Engine, Stock ECM, True duals, vance & hines ovals slip ons, Screaming Eagle air filter. I travel to work in the dark and that is when i could see the pipe glowing off of the trans cover. There's not a map for this config so i used the one for an 05 model which I think is the same. Do you suggest a dyno tune? Thanks for the feedback!

I am not a big fan of Dyno Tuning (for me). However it would be the quickest way to get the best possible tune for your setup if you don't mind the cost and additional abuse to your ride during the process. I prefer to tweak and play with the settings until I achieve what I am looking for performance wise.

I am assuming you are using the below map? It looks like it should work fine.

M807-179 05 Model, Vance & Hines True Dual headers with oval slip-ons, Stock ECU and Screamin Eagle air filter

I found another map for the 02 Touring Bikes that does not exactly match your setup but might be worth trying to see if it helps.

M807-033 True Dual headers, Vance & Hines Basic slash cut slip-ons, Stock ECM and Screamin Eagle air filter

There are other maps that could also be tried but this may be a good one to start with if you decide against a Dyno Tune. Again, not trying to talk you out of a Dyno Tune, its just not what I prefer to do but it may be right for you and your situation.

You can safely switch between maps as long as you stay with similar setups and avoid downloading maps that are way different than what match your setup.

I just tried the M807-179 and it seems to responding better. It runs fine...just the hot rear cylinder and horrible fuel mileage. I agree with you on the dyno. Thanks for the feedback.

Check for an air leak, unused fuel will ignite in the pipe if air is leaking in at the port.

I changed the exhaust and intake gaskets. the intake was leaking and i thought i had it licked but no luck. Thanks for the post and the input.

Back