free website stats program Vance & Hines True Duals Any Good? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Vance & Hines True Duals Any Good?

I guess I am the only deviant here. Rinehart TDs are the only system with a true, three stepped header, at least that I am aware of; the others use a two step header. A three stepped header scavenges better and typically, not always, help the low end.

I like the look of duals on a bagger, just think a pipe under each bag looks right. There are options for 2:1 systems, like the D&D Fatcat, that offer a ghost pipe to retain the dual look but gain whatever benefit there may be from a 2:1 system.
Dolt, Splain 2 & 3-step header? I've heard the word but ain't familuar with the concept.
Other True Dual headers to consider are Super Trapp, Sampson and Thunder Header just came out with one but ya gotta buy the system at $1000++.
The V&H TD Headers do what I wanted them to do, they look good, gave me a better sound, a little better performance (I believe), maintained the "Harley designed" Overheating correction, allowed me to use my SE slip-ons and didn't break the bank.
Don't know bout you others out there but my ol'Ladys eyebrows have been raising whenever the UPS guy shows up lately, she acually thought that if I bought a CVO I wouldn't have to do any modifications...........HA! HA! HO! Ha!.............how come she ain't laughing???

Dolt, Splain 2 & 3-step header? I've heard the word but ain't familuar with the concept.

First, let me say that I am not knocking the V&H products; the fit and finish is consistently good. Secondly, the stock exhaust system on the late model touring bikes is quite good. A late model touring bike, in stock trim, will make a little more HP and enough more TQ to register on the butt dyno than a late model dyna or softail. The touring exhaust system is the reason.

All header pipes that I am familiar with are stepped but the RH true dual system is the only one that I am aware of that makes three steps between the exhaust port and the tail pipe. The header pipe opening matches the exhaust port diameter at the port and "steps" up in diameter twice between the exhaust port and the tail pipe opening. The RH header pipe increases in diameter three times between the exhaust port and the tail pipe opening; 1.75" to 1.875" to 2.0". I am not sure about all but most other header pipes increase in diamter twice between the exhaust port and tail pipe and I suspect there are some that only increase in diameter once.

The "stepping" should increase scavenging and help prevent reversion pulses from finding their way back to the exhaust port. This should enhance low end performance but the effect on performance will vary depending on compression and cams.

One more thought, any dual system with a crossover or a connection between the two exhaust ports is not a true dual system.

First, let me say that I am not knocking the V&H products; the fit and finish is consistently good. Secondly, the stock exhaust system on the late model touring bikes is quite good. A late model touring bike, in stock trim, will make a little more HP and enough more TQ to register on the butt dyno than a late model dyna or softail. The touring exhaust system is the reason.

All header pipes that I am familiar with are stepped but the RH true dual system is the only one that I am aware of that makes three steps between the exhaust port and the tail pipe. The header pipe opening matches the exhaust port diameter at the port and "steps" up in diameter twice between the exhaust port and the tail pipe opening. The RH header pipe increases in diameter three times between the exhaust port and the tail pipe opening; 1.75" to 1.875" to 2.0". I am not sure about all but most other header pipes increase in diamter twice between the exhaust port and tail pipe and I suspect there are some that only increase in diameter once.

The "stepping" should increase scavenging and help prevent reversion pulses from finding their way back to the exhaust port. This should enhance low end performance but the effect on performance will vary depending on compression and cams.

One more thought, any dual system with a crossover or a connection between the two exhaust ports is not a true dual system.
Got it..... One more thing for the 09 guys, most of the TD systems, with the underframe crossover are not a "Tuned" exhaust. You will experience a different tone coming from your right and left hand sides. No effort is made to make the pipes flow the same.
Go on and tell em Dolt.......like the CVO they aren't really a performance item but they look and sound sooooo cool !

Back