free website stats program Valve Train Chatter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Valve Train Chatter

Where did you get the spring and what is involved in doing the job.

you already know where to get the spring. To get it installed you will need to pull off the right exhaust, then remove the cam cover. the spring is in the bottom left. no need to remove the pump unless you want to. tap out the roll pin and prepare for the old spring to fly out. put in new spring, now the tricky part is to put the roll pin back while pushing on the spring so as not to pinch it while tapping the roll pin in. Instructions come with the spring. The spring does not increase the pressure the pump puts out only delays opening of the bypass so it appears you have more pressure which now is directed where you want it oiling the valve train. I have about 55 lbs at 3000 RPM. at idle it will be the same as before since that is what the pump is putting out.

I am not a mechanic so I have to ask these questions, do you need to drain the oil to do this and will this spring help on a 08 RK, also is the bike to be standing up right or on jiffy stand.
thanks Chuck.

I am not a mechanic so I have to ask these questions, do you need to drain the oil to do this and will this spring help on a 08 RK, also is the bike to be standing up right or on jiffy stand.
thanks Chuck.

yes there is some oil loss, less on jiffy stand. top it up or do a change at the same time

Also, wouldn't the extra oil flow in the head help cool the heads?

apparently yes

Last edited by a moderator:
They are located on both front and rear of the induction module between the cylinders and behind the A/C.

Back