free website stats program Valve Train Chatter | Harley Davidson Forums

Valve Train Chatter

franka

Getting a fair amount valve train chatter in all gears between 2200 and 2600 RPM. The bike is an 07 Road King Classic with 24,000 miles. Just recently installed an IDS which relieved all of the 5th gear chatter but the engine chatter still persist. Manual says it could be
1. Low oil pressure - mine is fine
2. Faulty hydraulic lifters
3. Bent push rod
4. Incorrect push rod length - running factory rods
5. Rocker arm binding on shaft
6. Valve sticking in guide
7. Chain tensioner or shoe worn

Where does one start given all these potential causes? I really don't want to just drop it off at the dealer and let them spend my money searching for the problem, any ideas?

Thanks Glider, have done that a few times and it does reduce chatter somewhat but I'm pretty sure it's more than that adjustment as noise persist even after that is done.

Windshield on? I have noticed Baggers with Windshields tend to be more noticeable than those with out

Being new to Harley, I was convinced the upper engine was about to rattle off into the sunset:lolrolling Everyone including the dealer sez there is nothing but sweet music coming from my engine:s

After personally dealing with this myself (over a 2-month period, I removed the primary, exhaust, head covers, front fairing, etc.). I had my bike at the dealer for a new rear tire, and I had a trusted mechanic give it a ride. He said it was one of the best sounding limiteds he'd ridden.

Best advice; ride it. If something goes wrong with the bikes, you will KNOW it, and it won't be trying to chase down a small "tick."

I am dealing with the same thing, and I'm told it is all normal, so the ticking I'm hearing that is driving me nuts is all good.

I installed the Baisley oil pump spring and now the valve train sounds like a well oiled sewing machine instead of dry sound metal clatter. I recommend it and for 12.95 and an hour of time what have you to lose.

Back