Valve stem caps w/pressure indicater

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Mavagrand, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Mavagrand

Mavagrand Senior Member

Been looking at these at the local Discount Auto Parts, they come from the manufacturer set at a certain pressure (32lbs and 36lbs). You screw them onto your tires valve stem and, if the pressure drops below the setting a little red ring becomes visible. There is a green ring that is visible if pressure is above the setting. Well, been looking at them for a couple of weeks but couldn't get around the "cheesy" factor. Finally bought me a set of the "36", I run 36 in the front and 40 in the rear. Installed them and, lo and behold, my rear tire was low (31). Fired up the compressor, filled the tire. I know, it sounds cheesy but they really don't look bad. I suspect most people won't even notice them as they are mostly hidden by the brake rotors. Anyway, I know they ain't chrome and ain't from Harley but they do seem to make it ez to check the tire pressure.

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Save your money and just get a good gauge to check the pressure.

3. hogrotten

hogrotten Junior Member

I was just looking at a tire pressure indicator for motorcycles, can't recall the site I was on (I was looking for tires), but it was a little more sophisticated :s it could read current pressures front and rear and sounds an alarm when below pre-set levels.

4. Mavagrand

Mavagrand Senior Member

Ihave a good gauge and will keep track of these until I am confident they are accurate. If they are, it will be a quick and ez way to confirm tire pressure during a pre ride inspection.

5. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

I have seen they at CyclePro and they sell for 9.99 for two pack for $5.99 singlular...

[​IMG]

If it helps you to remember to check your tire pressure, it may be a good option.

6. walleye

walleye Junior Member Contributor

Keep us posted on this. They at least will help those who never check their pressure on a regular basis be more aware. I am now in the habit but if these are accurate I may consider them for my cars. (wife and daughter) they seem to think everything is OK all the time.

7. awall

awall Member

I had those on my car and after about 2 years the all developed slow leaks. I would not recomend them

8. hogrotten

hogrotten Junior Member

Big bike parts tire guard, google that and it'll even have a link to you tube.

9. Hornhonker

Hornhonker Member

Mine too. A real pain. :yeahright

10. Tadaaa

Tadaaa Member

Two years is about 1 year and 11 months longer than mine lasted before leaking:(