Valve Caps

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by HDDon, Aug 31, 2011.

1. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

I just read an interesting article on schrader valves and valve caps. I'm sure that everyone checks their air pressure and makes sure that the valve caps are on tight before they ride. But have you ever had a valve cap go missing and took off for your ride without it? Some of us have custom valve caps that somehow go missing after a lunch stop. The article was interesting in that not only does the cap keep things out of the schrader it also keeps air in that might escape. It seems that under spirited (read high speed) riding the centrificle force can and does compress the spring inside the schrader and without the cap you can have a very flat tire in a short period of time. How about checking those caps and make sure they are tight. HDDon

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Thanks for pointing that out HDDon. I completely agree and am very diligent on all my vehicles including the kids bikes...:) Very Important.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

You ride kids bikes too ? :lolrolling

4. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

I think he was the guy at the XGames that did the double back flip!!!:small3d018::small3d018:

5. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I always keep the valve caps from old tubes and valve stems when they are replaced so i have a few laying around i like the ones with the wee core tool on the end in case i need to change the core when I'm on the road

Brian

6. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

I like those kind to Brian, come in handy sometimes. Never can tell when you are gonna have a wee problem.

7. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

On a flat road I can ride the 3 hp minibike and the electric sport bike. My kids thinks its funny, like when the clown at the circus rides a mini bike....:lolrolling

8. Mavagrand

Mavagrand Senior Member

Good info. I've noticed the caps I buy from AutoZone don't last as long as they used to before they crack and fall off!

9. TXMikey

TXMikey Junior Member

Excellent advise HDDon. Not long ago, I went to check the air pressure in my front tire. When I unscrewed the valve cap, air started leaking from the tire because the valve stem had come loose. If I didn't have the valve cap, I would have had a very flat tire.

10. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Funny how those "custom" stems seem to disappear during stops (i.e. dice, skull, HD logo, etc.) - access is too easy. Another reason I stick w/the good old standard valve stems...one of the few items I won't upgrade. Like to keep a few in the bag - in case they're needed.