free website stats program V Rod Valve shimming | Harley Davidson Forums

V Rod Valve shimming

Tripiii

Been looking at V Rods, and was told that every 10,000 miles you need to pull the motor to shim the cams. If this true I would need to do this once and sometimes twice a year.

Is this true and what is cost at dealer?

That seems excessive to me. I had a 80 XS850 Yamaha that had shimmed valves and I checked them during prescribed maintenance and only once in 52,000 miles did I have to replace but one shim.

I concur with Redfish-Joe...are the 1st valve adjustment, after the engine is "broken in" the actual valve adjustment it should be able to tolerate an extended schedule to 20,000 IMHO.

On my sportbike air cooled, 4 cylinder Kat which has more wear and tear, 13,000 RPM redline, (16 valves), stressed lubricating oil doing "triple" duty, it required 3 shims (2 thicker, 1 thinner) in 30,000 miles. Compared to the V-rod, 10,000 miles does seem "rather" short for a torquey, modest RPM, water cooled V-twin, with separated engine oiling from tranny and primary system.

Been looking at V Rods, and was told that every 10,000 miles you need to pull the motor to shim the cams. If this true I would need to do this once and sometimes twice a year.

Is this true and what is cost at dealer?

The specs have been updated to 15k miles not 10k, and you don't have to "pull the motor" many have gone past 30k and still in spec. I checked mine for the first time @ 20k and all were in spec. and don't plan on checking them again till past 50k miles

Back