free website stats program V&H Monster Ovals vs. Ovals | Harley Davidson Forums

V&H Monster Ovals vs. Ovals

Ozoneman

I am trying to decide what mufflers I should buy to replace my Samson Ovals. Now that I've put V&H true dual dresser headers on my bike, it is about 50 percent louder than with the stock headers and the Samsons and that takes the sound to the obnoxious level. I like loud pipes but this is too much. I liked my Samsons with the stock headers, but not anymore.

I'm looking at V&H mufflers and I'm trying to decide between the Monster Oval and the regular Oval. I've been told the Monster Ovals weigh 12 pounds a piece (24 pounds total) so that seems like a lot of weight to add to the back of the bike. The Monsters are more expensive too. With the true duals I expect the sound will still be relatively loud compared to stock exhaust systems, but since the V&H has chambered baffles, it shouldn't be as loud as my Sampsons which are just straight through pipes with glass packs I guess.

How much difference is there between the Monster Ovals and the regular V&H Ovals? Will the regular ovals give me a nice Harley sound?

The Monsters (without the true dual) are pretty mellow...definitely not too loud. In fact, not loud enough for my wife, which is why I have a set for sale elsewhere on this board. Let me know if you're interested.

I switched to monsters from V&H ovals on my 103 c.i. ultra. Found the ovals too harsh. The monsters have a deeper rumble, real harley sound to my ears anyway. They,re big and fat and stick out the back a bit more, but I can live with that. Plus you can have either chrome or black tips. I have slipons not true duals.

I have the dresser duals from V&H with the monster ovals. The dressers are louder than stock but with the monster ovals, they are perfect. IMO. If I was to do it all over again, I would go with the same set up. I hope this helps.

I have the dresser duals from V&H with the monster ovals. The dressers are louder than stock but with the monster ovals, they are perfect. IMO. If I was to do it all over again, I would go with the same set up. I hope this helps.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. With the louder dresser duals the Monster mufflers should be just right for me. I'm going to check them out at on IndyRoadKing's bike.

I decided on the Monster Ovals. Thanks Sharky1948 for a good deal! And thanks IndyRoadKing for allowing me to listen to your bike. Looking forward to these new pipes!:D

Got the Monster Ovals on the bike today. Riding home from the shop was about 20 miles. I like the way they sound! Not too loud, but definitely still pronounced with my dual headers and 211 cams. They really sound great when you take off and whine out through the gears. Makes the engine sound much more powerful.

I'm glad I got those Samson's off my bike. Not only were they too loud with my recent engine upgrades, but the chrome on them was really getting tarnished. I didn't realize they were so bad until he took them off and I could see the undersides of them and see the yellowing. He said Samsons are cheap thin chromed mufflers. I guess they are from what I saw.

Back