free website stats program V&H Fuelpak vs Power Commander III ?? | Harley Davidson Forums

V&H Fuelpak vs Power Commander III ??

I traded off my 07' Road King for a 08' Street Glide last Fall. I kept my Vance & Hines FuelPak EFI controller and my BigShot true duals exhaust system along with a stage 1 intake kit.

I was assuming that everything would be transferable to the 08' since the motor remained the same. I found out that the only item still compatible is the True Duals:12: HD changed the connectors on the ECM and rendered my FuelPak useless. They also changed the intake to the 50mm, so I am going with the Arlen Ness Big Sucker for my intake.

I figured that as long as I need to upgrade the EFI controller that I would look into the Power Commander. I can see some nice advantages to the Power Commander as far as firmware upgrades and more user control. Could I please get some input from users of these systems as to which might be better for my Glide?

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks again,
I have a question on the PC-III, I was reading on the installation page and they recommend the o2 eliminators. What are most of the users doing with this? As far as leaving the sensors in the exhaust or removing them and plugging the fitting?

Mike

Makes little difference, I left mine in so if the bike had to go back to the dealer for a warranty issue, I could just reconnect them and go.

Thanks Glider,
On their website they show capping the connectors on both ends at the sensor and the module. Is it necessary to do this down at the sensor or just a formality? I would think that leaving them connected at the sensor would prevent the connectors from grime residue and corrosion.

I was thinking of removing them but that is a good idea for dealer issues.

One other question do these leave any type of code in the ECM that can be read by a HD shop as to notify them of a added device? I had a F250 diesel and guy's were chipping them and Ford figured out a way to identify that a different chip had been installed. Just curious on this.

I had installed a FuelPak last year along with some V&H Big Shot true duals and HD stage 1 air. We stopped by the dealer one day browsing around and he informed me that I had voided my warranty on the bike, oh well! I am no way waiting for 3 years to get my bike how I want it. This 08' is getting changed over as soon as it is warm enough to wrench on it:)

Mike

Thanks Glider,
On their website they show capping the connectors on both ends at the sensor and the module. Is it necessary to do this down at the sensor or just a formality? I would think that leaving them connected at the sensor would prevent the connectors from grime residue and corrosion.

I was thinking of removing them but that is a good idea for dealer issues.

One other question do these leave any type of code in the ECM that can be read by a HD shop as to notify them of a added device? I had a F250 diesel and guy's were chipping them and Ford figured out a way to identify that a different chip had been installed. Just curious on this.

I had installed a FuelPak last year along with some V&H Big Shot true duals and HD stage 1 air. We stopped by the dealer one day browsing around and he informed me that I had voided my warranty on the bike, oh well! I am no way waiting for 3 years to get my bike how I want it. This 08' is getting changed over as soon as it is warm enough to wrench on it:)

Mike

I would install the resistor down at the sensor where they are made to go and tape up the other half of the plug to keep it clean. They leave no imprint on the ECM that would show that it was removed and the dealer can't void your warranty just like that. They have to prove something you did caused a problem on the bike first if it's a warranted item.

Dealers And The Magnusson-Moss Act - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks again Glider,
That will be how I am going to do it then. So is it wise to remove the PCIII from the bike if it needs warranty work or can you just leave it in place?
That is really great to know about the no tattle tale on the ECM.

I put 27,500 on my 07' last Summer and it never needed to go to the shop once except for 2 new rear tires. So if this ride is as good, I am not to worried on warranty issues.

I'll have to remember that part you stated on the warranty act, my dealer basically told me last year any exhaust not installed by HD dealer etc. voided my warranty. I did not like my SE slip ons and sold them right away. Now this 08' came with them on the bike again, although these sound much better than the 07' series. I still want my V&H Big Shots back on.

Mike

The PC III for warranty work is better addressed by the dealers. They seem to want to make up their own rules here from one to another.

If they tell you it voids the warranty,(my dealer basically told me last year any exhaust not installed by HD dealer etc. voided my warranty. ) ask them to show you some proof of this in writing :D Bet they don't!
Many dealers install them and still honor the warranty. You may need a dealer change here to an honest one.:s

The PC III for warranty work is better addressed by the dealers. They seem to want to make up their own rules here from one to another.

If they tell you it voids the warranty,(my dealer basically told me last year any exhaust not installed by HD dealer etc. voided my warranty. ) ask them to show you some proof of this in writing :D Bet they don't!
Many dealers install them and still honor the warranty. You may need a dealer change here to an honest one.:s

When I bought my pipes I went to two local dealers and called two others and asked if I did the change myself would it void the warranty. They all said no and said as stated by Glider H.D. would have to prove something I did caused a problem.

Back