free website stats program V&H Finish Quality | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

V&H Finish Quality

I've got Monster Ovals on my '09. Pipes still look great, but the tips started to blister about a year or so ago. V&H says warranty is only a year....he recommended just taking the tips in having the chrome removed and polishing the aluminum. Or buy new ones :(

I've got Monster Ovals on my '09. Pipes still look great, but the tips started to blister about a year or so ago. V&H says warranty is only a year....he recommended just taking the tips in having the chrome removed and polishing the aluminum. Or buy new ones :(

You could remove the chrome yourself with a battery drill and and rotary sanding disc sold at Harbor Freight. You can see the disc kit here that I used.
11 Piece 2 Sanding Pad Kit

After you get all 3 coats of the chrome layers off, (chromium, nickel and copper) then start with about 200 grit sandpaper and work you way up to about 800 grit (getting all apparent scratches out with each grit). Then polish the rest of the way with a white aluminum polish compound and a cotton rag.

You need this stuff,
1/4 Lb. White Polish Compound

I did the exact same thing to this tach housing (pic below). You could also just sand the chrome off and paint it with a snappy color like bronze or copper heat paint.

Attachments

• TachOff2.JPG
    TachOff2.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 13
Vance & Hines has good customer service.Having said that, I too have had some rust issues with my True Duals. Nothing bad, but, still rust spots which I sanded out with very fine steel wool. Nothings perfect. I have often thought of taking the pipes off and having them re-chromed. Anyway, I am sure V&H will stand behind the product if it is bad enough.

I have to agree with most of the other posts , a car port doesn't give enough protection from the elements , a lot of moisture in the air and not getting hot enough to dry everything by just starting and idling . I have the V & H big radius black with crome tips . I've had them for 3 years now and they still look like new , but I don't ride in the winter time with all the sand and salt they spread here I wait until we've had good rains to wash the roads off .

I'd keep um sprayed down with some kind of silicone sealant (like engine brite). I also spray this lite weight generic oil on mine sometimes can't remember the name of it but I could find out. Makes the shields look brand new for awhile. I'd try polishing them too, but whatevery you put the heat is gonna require reapplying regularly.

How's the rest of your chrome and aluminum holding up ?

Vance & Hines has good customer service.Having said that, I too have had some rust issues with my True Duals. Nothing bad, but, still rust spots which I sanded out with very fine steel wool. Nothings perfect. I have often thought of taking the pipes off and having them re-chromed. Anyway, I am sure V&H will stand behind the product if it is bad enough.

You have to be careful with "Steel" wool because steel rusts. If you push that steel wool into the smallest pore it is going to turn into rust. Don't ask me how I know.:(

Back