free website stats program V&H Finish Quality | Harley Davidson Forums

V&H Finish Quality

BlaineG

Love my Monster Ovals, but inside of six months they are getting surface rust on the black powder coat, and the chrome tips are blistering and rusting....I keep in on the carport, and it gets started and ran until it's hot every couple weeks, or a bit sooner. Grrrrrr

I've been using V&H products for years and have not had any thing bad to say about them or their customer service. I have not had any of their blacked out mufflers but their chrome has never rusted or discolered. Have you tried calling them to discuss your problems?

I have to agree with Don. Their customer service is very good and I think it will benefit you to call them as soon as possible. Take some pictures, they may ask to see the problem. If they agree with you I think they will take care of you.

Starting and running until hot every couple of weeks is probably helping create the issue IMO.

Unless you are riding the bike for 30 minutes or more I think starting the bike and heating them is collecting condensation more than it is fighting it off. The key to storage is to maintain a constant temp not a fluctuating temp.

Especially being a air cooled bike, with the engine idling, in a couple of minutes the engine is hot. Along with what Tank suggested you are not getting the both cylinders evenly hot nor reaching normal operating temperature to burn out condensation out of exhaust. Let alone possibly hurting engine from leaving idling for a extended period. That is why it is recommended that riding is essential within a minute of start up. Overheating, or uneven engine heat is just one of the for many different reasons. :(

I've had V&H exhaust in the past and they do make a good product. I agree with the others, just starting it and letting it run is not a good warm up and my very well be your problem. JMO.

How long have you had them and how much rain blows on them where they are parked ?

I have V&H's pipes that came on my bike when I bought it used. The previous owner (whom I know) had the pipes for 2yrs when he had it. I've had the bike over a year and half and the pipes have "no" rust on the powder or the chrome end plates. Course I painted the powder awhile back but there was no rust.

I would call V&H and talk to them about it. Don't try email they don't answer that much.

I had V&H big shot staggered on my 07 flstf, no issues with pipes, i did use a battery tender to keep it charged up over winter so I never started it and
let it ideal to warm unless i was going to ride.
Warm up, is when I can feel the rear rocker cover getting warm to touch with my thumb, then i take off.

I have V&H power duals and monster rounds on my 2011 RKC and i do the same
with it- exhaust looks like new.

Car Port, Western Washington, how close to the ocean and salt air are you? Short running time combined with sitting almost outside( CARPORT) may be your answer. Here in Jacksonville Florida I am 28 miles inland and I feel the sand and saly in the air, my bike is garaged and @ work is parked in the parking garage( COVERED) over head, I have rust on my bike in some odd places, it puts me in mind of winter riding in Minnesota Just my 2 cents

Sorry to hear that. Have a set of V&H's will be installing on my new ride tomorrow evening. Sure hope it don't go that way. Never heard any bad words about V&H. Hope it works out for you...:newsmile077:

Joe

I have the black V&H long shots on my bones and I've had them on for 3+ years and both pipes have lots of rust! Started about a year ago. Because I am in the middle east I Emailed them and they replied saying "there is nothing I can do, "It happens to some pipes", I can put on new shields and it may happen again". So I live with it because you can't beat the sound of these pipes.

Back