free website stats program V&H Basic Slip ons | Harley Davidson Forums

V&H Basic Slip ons

hdrider07

I have a 2007 ultra classic. I am wanting to put on the Vance and Hines basic slip on mufflers. Has anyone put these on? If so did you have to remap or anything else to the bike? Thanks

I have a 2007 ultra classic. I am wanting to put on the Vance and Hines basic slip on mufflers. Has anyone put these on? If so did you have to remap or anything else to the bike? Thanks

I have a 07 U.C. myself and 3 wks. ago my indy. put on V&H tapered slash cuts on. Also had the Arlen Ness big sucker and V&H fuel-pac put on. So far I am pleased with the sound and preformance. NOW my scoot was stock until then and I do not have any experience with other product(s) out there.

I have the same set-up on my '02. V&H slip-ons, big air filter, & a V&H fuel pak. Love the sound and performance, BUT, dont like the 10 to 12 mpg loss on my fuel. Vance & Hines said this is to be expected.:bigsmiley19:

Glide 33;
I don't get why adding free flow exhaust and less restrictive air cleaner would kill your mileage. That makes no sense assuming you are riding it about the same way.
I wonder if that fuel module is running too rich?
Are your pipes black inside?
What do your plugs look like?

I did a 95 inch kit on my '04 Classic with 203 cams, slip ons, K&N air cleaner and Teclusion module a few years back, and I don't think I lost any mileage at all.

Rod

Makes no sense to me either. I rechecked my settings 4 or 5 times, got mad and unhooked the fuel-pak. Rode it unhooked for a month or so, but got a little scared about running too lean. Hooked it back up, rode and rechecked mileage, 12 mpg. difference. Finally called V&H, told them my problem. They said that was normal. Was thinking about getting the programmer that Glider recommends, but need to wait awhile before I spring it on the little woman.

Glide 33;
I don't get why adding free flow exhaust and less restrictive air cleaner would kill your mileage. That makes no sense assuming you are riding it about the same way.
I wonder if that fuel module is running too rich?
Are your pipes black inside?
What do your plugs look like?

I did a 95 inch kit on my '04 Classic with 203 cams, slip ons, K&N air cleaner and Teclusion module a few years back, and I don't think I lost any mileage at all.

Rod

"Free flow exhaust" means more air. More air means leaner mix. The ECM or fuel module needs to compensate by adding more fuel.

Likewise, "less restrictive air cleaner" means more air. More air means leaner mix. The ECM or fuel module needs to compensate by adding more fuel.

Plus, MoCo ECM is programmed to run lean to meet EPA requirements. Aftermarket fuel modules (e.g., FuelPak, TFI, etc.) run richer to make the engine run cooler and add performance.

Add it all up and you get less mileage.

The ability to make custom adjustments seems to make sense to me, so I went with the PC III. I can make changes that match my particular riding style. I can even make changes on the road with a 9V adaptor. It's a simple USB hook-up and definitely not rocket surgery. I bought it pre-mapped to run with my Rinehart TD's and am happy with both the performance and MPG. My stock 08 UC averaged about 46 and now I get 42. So adding more fuel to compensate for the lessened restriction of the Rinehart exhaust resulted in slightly less MPG. No big deal. A more than fair trade off for the decreased heat. Why pay for a dealer download when you can have adjustability and a simply plug and play unit for $280.

Scubadog

It's agreed that the PC III has many more areas of adjustment than some other tuners do but the reason I suggest the TFI over the PC III even though it does more is the ease of adjustment by someone that isn't familiar with the electronics of the bikes and computers to change a map and install it then.
I have seen quite a few people really mess things up trying to alter the maps in a PC III setup and end up going to the tuner and spend many hundreds of dollars to correct the problem they caused by lack of technical knowledge using this unit.
Using the TFI, there's little room to make mistakes other than fuel richness and no chance of ignition problems caused by too much advance which can be detrimental to an engine in a big way, not even mentioning the cylinder trim and a few other options they offer.
The Harley programming from the factory leaves a bit to be desired but with increased fuel and using the factory ignition curve, it minimises the possibility of a user doing much if any damage if they can just follow simple suggested fuel settings and they do run pretty well with just added fuel. Tweaking the ignition curve with a PC III can often render unwanted pinging under some conditions and then it's back to the drawing board again. For the tinkerer that understands the what and why of the systems, the corrections can be done very easily but for the novice, it's a bit over their head IMO.

There's the option of buying a pre programmed unit and installing it as is but here again, if you run into a pinging problem, how much of a good deal is this. The pre programed units are still a compromise and not maximized for the application because every bike is different and has different demands. Two identical bikes will usually not run identical with the same map in them.

The question I am trying to pose is how much money does a person want to spend to just get a bit more from the bike over and above the TFI is what it comes down to. You can go for the $250 or so and get the TFI and set it up yourself and have a good running bike or you can go for about the same money and get the PC III and try a tune yourself using the butt dyno or even data logging ,or have it custom mapped at a cost of anywhere from $300 - $600 by a tuner.

The options are endless and I try to pose a simple solution for the masses that works well. I use the TFI on every bike I have owned that had EFI with good results.

I fully agree with Glider. Those that are not familiar with the electronics of the bikes or are not at ease working with computers to change a map are much better off with a TFI. I just personnally like having the option of fine tuning adjustments for idle, closed throttle decel, and highway cruise.

Back