free website stats program UVC Fee? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

UVC Fee?

Pezzy,

Wow, that's some fine reply to all of the suggestions!

Please keep us posted on what other steps you take and what the outcome is. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Good Luck to You!!

Hey all; back again.

Some really good, solid replies here; I like the input!

dbmg: I didn't contact the DMV, I contacted my state's department of transportation (AZ DOT). Even though they did confirm the date that my plate/ tags were sent out, and that indeed the dealership sat on my stuff for a month even though I paid them a fee for this, AZ DOT said they can't get involved any further than this as it will become a "civil case", and if I want to pursue it, then that's up to me.

Contact a local news channel? We're on the same page! :) I've already sent in a submission to a local television station here in AZ that does a consumer protection piece about this dealership since having my unpleasant experience with them. Although, the TV station informs all submitters that they receive MANY submissions and they can't always address them all.

And Better Business Bureau? We're on the same page again!! I've already filed a complaint with them in regard to this dealership.

Local magistrate office? I haven't done that. Are you basically talking about contacting a lawyer? I've thought about that, but, I don't have a lot of money to throw around and would want it to be cost-effective if I were to consider legal representation.

And that reminds me......I actually mentioned this at the dealership when they weren't being very accommodating and forthcoming with me (that I might try going the legal route), and the general manager of the dealership actually said to me, "Don't bother; you'll lose". What a swell guy, huh? Was he actually trying to make me mad and tick me off?!?!

And I know: This particular dealership may not be representative of the Harley-Davidson Motor Company as a whole, but, this was the dealership I dealt with. I am a first-time customer at this dealership, and, a first-time Harley buyer. I let them know this out-loud at the dealership, too. You'd think they'd want to give and leave a good impression. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I've been riding cycles for over 30 years (I'm just about 50 years old), and this is my first Harley. The machine itself seems a quality-built cycle, but, the dealership experience has soured me.

There's this saying.....I'm not sure of the exact quote, but loosely, it's something like this: It can take years to find or get a customer, but only a minute to lose them.

glider: I think I will take your advice and put a post/ thread up in your "bad dealer" section.

Jack Klarich: Yup, no test rides at this dealership. I was at other dealerships here in AZ and they do allow test rides. And guess what? I did contact the Harley-Davidson Motor Company in Milwaukee, Wisconsin via postal mail. In my letter to them, I even tried to be proactive and said to them that I hope they don't just give me the company line of "all dealerships are independently owned and operated". But guess what? Wait for it..........................yup, they gave me the company line...

And Jack.....do you have some "special phone number" for the Motor Company???

lidflipper: That's very tempting...I've been thinking about doing that "sign thing" and hanging out near the dealership.

FerrousBueller: Do I still like the bike? Welllllll......yes, I suppose so. But, every time I look at it, I'm reminded of that dealership and especially that general manager who irritated and irked me to no end with his arrogance and over-confidence.

And you're not clear on whether or not I still have the bike or returned it? Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I tried to return the bike but was unsuccessful in either trying to renegotiate that "UVC fee", or, cited "buyer's remorse" and wanted to return it as I was under the impression that I had "15 days or 500 miles" (I explained about the confusion in regard to the number "15" in my previous post in this thread).

And Ferrous....I know what you're trying to see in that I shouldn't let this one dealership sour my opinion on ALL Harley dealers; it's just difficult for me, that's all.

Here I was, a cycle rider of 30+ years and telling this dealership that I am trying a Harley for the first time in my life, that I'm going to "buy American" (sounds so patriotic, doesn't it?). And what do they do? They mess with me and don't even try to "make things right" when I take exception to their "bogus" UVC fee.

I've checked around with other dealers since then, other Harley dealers (not under the "RideNow" umbrella), and even some Japanese dealerships, and none of them ever heard of this UVC fee. With a previously-owned vehicle, other dealers tell me the only fees they charge in addition to the sticker price is: State sale's tax; plate/ tags/ title; and dealer documentation. That's it.

I was even looking at another American-made brand while shopping a while back, the Victory line of motorcycles. Did I make the right decision? The wrong one? Hmmmmm.....

Pez

And Jack.....do you have some "special phone number" for the Motor Company??? Have u tried 414-343-4056 yet?

Jack Klarich: That telephone number of 414-343-4056 is the telephone number given on Harley's web page at harley-davidson.com

It's the same web page where I got their postal address and wrote to them in Wisconsin via a typed letter. I'm pretty sure any telephone call to that number is going to have me communicating with someone who works in the same department as the person who wrote me back from my mailed letter.

Their reply to me via postal mail was basically a "non-reply", meaning: not much of a reply at all. I believe I alluded to it in my earlier post when I said they gave me the company line........

From your earlier post, Jack, I thought you were implying that you had some kind of special phone number when you said, "...bad experience with a dealer here in Florida. I called my old salesman in MN. He gave me a phone number for a complaint manager @ the MOCO, I think I still have the number, Anyway after a long phone call he told me the MOCO does use a star program...".

And don't get me wrong: I understand that when a company uses the "company line" about all dealerships are independently owned and operated, that they mean they're not going to micro-manage them with all kinds of rules & regulations, that they're going to leave it up to the general manager of the store to set policy and let them do what they think is best to run the dealership.

[Also remember: this particular dealership is under the RideNow umbrella; maybe they dictate certain policies......like UVC fees!!!]

But, let's just say for the sake of a hypothetical extreme argument that a dealership was perpetrating some incredibly unethical and possibly illegal practices, and this eventually entailed portraying the Harley-Davidson MoCo in a very bad light. Don't you think the MoCo would step in and say, Hey, wait a minute there!!!.....

This UVC fee? I'm not necessarily saying that it's incredibly unethical or illegal (although I do think it's double-dipping). A dealership is in business to make money; I know. And there's plenty of dealerships out there (car and bike) that will try and pad out a bill with all kinds of fees.....and they'll find customers that will fall for them.

I fell. Shame on me.

The UVC fee bothered me from the get-go. I questioned it at the time of the signing of the contract.......I hesitated. I looked at my wife and we almost got up to leave (a deal-breaker).

I would have returned to the dealership sooner (buyer's remorse) after purchasing it, but, both my wife and I heard them say that thing I mentioned in my previous post about "15 days or 500 miles". I was back within 7 days.

They don't allow test rides but then backpedaled on this and said that stuff about, "We said 15 miles or 15 minutes". :newsmile042:

Most states - when it comes to buyer's remorse (lemon law) - say you have to come back within a few days (at least I'm pretty sure :)) I figured with this dealership telling me 15 days or 500 miles, that I had plenty of time. HA!

I'm sure this dealership has figured out by now that I'm spreading as much bad word as I can about them: Better Business Bureau; local TV station consumer protection segment (still waiting to hear back from them); Internet message forums; MySpace; Facebook; Twitter.

And, of course, one of the most powerful forms of advertisement: Word-of-mouth :bigsmiley24:

I'll soon head over to the "bad dealer" section of the forums and add a thread........

Pez

Send the dealer a link to this thread. :s

With 54K members, it may make a difference, you never know.

Jack Klarich: That telephone number of 414-343-4056 is the telephone number given on Harley's web page at harley-davidson.com
This number got me a phone response and a letter i used this at the delaership

I just purchased a 2005 EG Classic for a great price from a dealer in Dallas, Tx. They wanted a $198.00 UVC fee and I told them to give me $200.00 off the purchase price or I wouldn't buy the bike. They gave in to make the sale.

It all depends on how bad you want something and what you'll pay to get it :) .

I just purchased a 2005 EG Classic for a great price from a dealer in Dallas, Tx. They wanted a $198.00 UVC fee and I told them to give me $200.00 off the purchase price or I wouldn't buy the bike. They gave in to make the sale.

It all depends on how bad you want something and what you'll pay to get it :) .

Yo, didn't see your first post, but wanted to use this one to welcome you to the forum....enjoy that scoot, always good to be a wise (and observant) consumer. This site is tops for helping you do just that 56,000 eyes and counting.

Let me know when you are headed down I-45 to the Gulf, we can grab some Q & a brew!

Wow; my original post got resurrected again :)

Yosemite: This Harley dealership you went to in Dallas, TX; by any chance is it part of that umbrella corporation called "RideNow"?

Here's a list of RideNow locations:

Retail Locations | RideNow Powersports

I realize that just because I've never heard of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.....but I had never heard of this "UVC fee" before.

Here is AZ where I live, I did some checking with various dealerships in-and-around my area, and it seems that only the dealerships that are a part of this RideNow company have this UVC fee. I could be wrong, of course; it's not like I've checked every single little dealership everywhere.

But, when I've checked dealerships that are not part of this RideNow company and I ask them what fees they charge on their bill-of-sale for a previously-owned cycle, they say:
- State sales tax
- Title/ plate/ tags
- Document

That's it, just those three; nothing else more to "pad out the bill".

Even though I've been riding 30+ years, I hadn't actually purchased one in a while; I thought perhaps this UVC fee was something "new" with cycles.

It did raise my eyebrows at the time of the contract negotiations, but shame on me: I signed. :bigsmiley19:

I also posted a thread over in the "Dealers You Wouldn't Recommend" forum. And like Gas Gauge mentioned here, this site has 56,000 eyes and counting :D
Pez

Back