free website stats program Using Syn 3 in The Transmission | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Using Syn 3 in The Transmission

Smitty;
OK, I'll buy importance of the level business.
How about a fill plug at just the right level on the side of the cover just in front of the Derby cover?
That would change a 30 minute job into a 5 minute job.
It would also make finding the correct level much easier than trying to see where it is thru the Derby cover opening.

My '04 manual makes no mention of clutch or plate inspection as a part of the fluid changing process, BTW.

Rod

Rod, Yes, "Derby Cover" primary case removal is a pain and not necessary. I did the oil change on my Sporty after short 10 min. warmup; 1) Carefully leaning the bike up against a wooden fence, cocking the front wheel and leaving it in gear, put the side stand down, just long enough to steady it w/ 2x4's under the frame, draining it out the bottom plug, clean magnet off. 2) I replaced the lousy O-ring on the drain plug with $1.25 12mm fibre washer from Kragens' and 3) Filled gear lube through the primary chain inspection hole (remove two allen screws) using a $5.99 covered funnel & hose with exactly 1 quart of Spectrol Gold 85W (32 oz) as specified in my Sporty manual. 4) The chain adjustment is done externally and you check the tension thru the same inspection hole. Time: 40 minutes. :p

You can do the oil change by draining oil tank thru drain hose, remove oil tank cap once oil is draining in pan, replug when drained. For oil filter, carefully make a foil windage tray up and under the oil filter to minimize the mess, use a 3 finger wrench w/ 3/8 reversible ratchet wrench turning counter clockwise and allow it to drain to a pan below. Do use Synthetic Oil (I use 3 qts of Motul 3000 available locally from Cycle Gear and local Honda / Kawasaki / Yamaha shop, as well as several other mom & pop shops (I support local motorcycle business, and use Internet as reference only). Oil the filter gasket, fill approx. 1/4 way up, wetting the entire inside for 2-3 minutes, screw in quickly, refill oil tank with 2 quarts, start engine and let warm for 2 or 3 minutes. Check for leaks, level bike and recheck level when warm, bike on jiffy stand. Time: 20 minutes :)

Joy's piece on Oil Change/Primary/Chain Lube is very good, especially her on the fly changes (necessity is the mother of invention) using a disposable aluminum roasting pan to drain the oil (from 99 cent Store), and inspection mirror (also 99 Cent Store or Harbor Freight) is a good idea, and having all the tools and consumables available ahead of time will simplify your life...not bad eh? :57:

Last edited:
Smitty & NEWHD74FAN

Great posts, thanks for the help!:s

Thank you Glider, Smitty & Hobbit for the help in figuring this Harley stuff out. You guys are great and entertaining to say the least. BTW I did not get a peep from either MoCo or Jay L...:cheers...Enjoy a cold one on me!

Thanks guys for all the help and ideas.

I think I am going to fill mine thru the chain inspection cover from now on.
It has 4 screws instead of 5 on the Derby cover, but at least I don't have to remove a foot rest just to get to it!

Thanks again,
Rod

Back