free website stats program using ATV/Motorcycle lift on Sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

using ATV/Motorcycle lift on Sportster

Bigmoc

Want to use the Harbor Freight ATV/Motorcycle lift on my 883r. Because of the hardware(spring mount for sidestand, balance tube on exhaust, etc,) I was going to make a couple of blocks with runners on top that would fit into the squared U-channel between the frame members. The blocks would fit on the arms of the lift.
Am I going in the right direction?
Jon

It sounds like you want to cradle the frame to jack which is a good idea. I would definitely figure away to secure blocks to jack so that they are solidly mounted and won't move while working on bike. And of course always strap bike to lift before lifting...

That lift works great on my old 77 Sportster. I use tie downs if I think I'll get so involved I forget it is on a lift. I used shims a couple of times.

That's what I did on my previous XL... Made a pattern, then cut in a 1-2X10, then Glued & pressed 2nd 2x10 (No Pattern) behind 1st to give it strength. Worked Great.

Have used the Harbor Freight lift on my Ultra and on my FXR. Works great. As one post mentioned, I do secure the bikes so there is no side travel. Great buy for the money especially for those of us who are "shade tree" mechanics and don't do this for a living....

So you used the 2x10 and attached it crossways to the lift arms and then another 2x10 attached to this so that you had in effect a 4x10 on the arms? Did you put cleats on either side of this so that it cradled the lift arms?
Thanks, Jon

Use plain yellow Harbor Freight motorcycle lift...nothing special, I do use a bungee cord to secure jiffy stand in the deployed position, and use wood paint stirring sticks to shim any gaps.

DSCN0825-1.jpg

Works fine, for my "casual" use (I live in SoCal so riding is virtually all year long).

Back