free website stats program Used Harley Davidson Auction Scenario | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Used Harley Davidson Auction Scenario

What you put into a bike is not what you will get back for it if you sell it. I had another bike that I had $33K into, it was a limited production CVO and only got $14 when I sold it 3 years later. It's a loosing proposition to expect what you put into the bike as a return or an investment, they only depreciate after the sale new regardless of what anyone says.

What you put into a bike is not what you will get back for it if you sell it. I had another bike that I had $33K into, it was a limited production CVO and only got $14 when I sold it 3 years later. It's a loosing proposition to expect what you put into the bike as a return or an investment, they only depreciate after the sale new regardless of what anyone says.

True, true. And yet the myths live on. Ebay and Craigs List are full of Harley listings where the seller provides a long, itemized list of all the extras along with the price, usually down to the penny. I just sit and laugh. Can't tell you how many times I've casually eavesdropped on a conversation in a Harley dealership and heard the word "investment" mentined in the same sentence as "Harley." Again I walk away with a snicker on my face. Amazing how many people refuse to even glimpse at reality!

I think the CVO bikes are the biggest rip of them all. You spend 10K over the regular model in the same line and when selling time comes, the return is barely more than the standard bike without all the extras. To add insult to injury the CVO bikes or as commonly referred to as Screamin' Eagle bikes didn't even come with Screamin' Eagle parts like heads etc. until just recently, just additional chrome pieces and different paint.

If people only knew what they were paying for, they wouldn't pay and additional price for supply and demand over retail prices for these bikes. Too many dealers charging over retail just because they have a certain bike, it just drives me crazy when I see that.

Yikes...in passing on this type of personal information: You are doing a very good deed. Thanks.

Glider, just curious, what kind of CVO was it and why did you elect to sell it after only 3 years?

My 2003 Roadking I have had 7 years, and even with 41K miles on it, I love it as much as I did the day I drove it home from the dealer.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
One caveat to buying CVO verses regular...as Glider says, the new CVO's now use 110 SE parts so at least bring parity somewhat back to the $10k premium you pay for the privilege...and it does come with full warranty and no "fiddling" if you want it as modified "out of the box."

That said, don't expect to get full $25.5k for that CVO Street Bob that whets my appetite every time I walk in to the dealer...hmmm 110 SE parts, dual disc brakes, custom chrome alloy wheels, multi-colored paint and more chrome than you can shake a stick at...and no WAITING...if I choose to make it my one and only...not THAT bad a deal!

I am up in the air. On one hand I am looking for a used Road King and am seeing prices in my area too high, especially from private parties if you can believe that. I spent some time on Cycle Trader this evening checking what was up for sale.
On the other hand I have a Street Bob and for what they are going for used I have decided that mine is staying. I'll never sell it.
So, I just will have two bikes is all. The thing is that I have my sights on the 08 RKs and am seeing for the most part prices around 16K. I have had some email correspondence with a salesman for EagleRider and they have a bunch with anywhere from 10k to 25k miles on them and they want in the range of 16K too. The private party is probably the route I will take, but the salesman I have been corresponding with is hinting at a better price if I get with him face to face. I know Eagle Rider sells used HDs to dealers in the area at discount. Then the dealer has to mark up to make a profit. I understand that. What I don't fully understand is why EagleRider doesn't drop the price on those rentals where they could clear their inventory. I smell factory involvement with EagleRider.
Anyway, I have almost decided to save up more money and just wait for when I can get a '09 model. They have the improvements and I will have another year to save. I might be able to pull it off without even financing.
It is tough to sell in this economy, but it is hard to buy too. Odd times.:)

Back