free website stats program USA Oil Filters | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

USA Oil Filters

I was under the impression that the 5 micron allowed higher pressure so that the spray nozzles under the pistons would stay clean, I think glider stated that in a thread started some time ago.

I have one on my 2010 FatBoy. HD does not and will not give the beta-ratio on their oil filter. 5 micron rating to me is a farce. Ain't gonna happen with that small of a filter.
I know 3 HD techs & 2 indys that swear by them. My friend just bought one for his 07 FatBoy, the HD shop foreman said best filter you could use on a Harley ,period.
Good enough for me. They are easy to clean.
wilks3

I have used re usable filters a long time ago as that was the only filter solution for those engines but as i remember it was a real pain as i had to wash the filter element in petrol to clean it of the old oil and particles it had caught and then let it dry out before refitting
a spin on spin off filter was for me a real step forward as i just spin it off empty the oil out and dispose of it responsibly
modern reusable filters may be easier to service than in the old days but i will stay with the ease of the disposable

Brian

Again, thanks for all the great information. This site is amazing. I read the Amsoil history thread this morning and learned even more about oil ... Ride on...

I could buy 25 filters for what the base model costs. At best I use two filters a year. So it would take 12 to 15 years to break even.

I could buy 25 filters for what the base model costs. At best I use two filters a year. So it would take 12 to 15 years to break even.

I completely agree with you. The peace of mind of using the factory H.D. filter makes sense to me.

some of us ride a bit more than that .. and remember the hd oil filter was made by the lowest bidder also

Wow! Just found a PurePower "lifetime" filter that is even more expensive - so much to learn, so little time.......

I posit that you don't have solvent clean enough for that filter cleaning job.

None of these particles are visible to a human eye. Not a single one.

I looked fairly hard at the K&P. Web, looked at micronic cloth, and in person..

My opinion is no.

HDs 5 micron filter is nominal. Not gonna have a great Beta. But it is what it is. I'd guess maybe it's a Beta 75 at 20. Maybe 50%? Decent, not great.

But it is a known beast that won't cause a warranty challenge.

I'll go toe to toe over my oil choices, but until I can afford proper testeg, I don't have a basis for taking a chance on a filter.

So, show me data or no sale. And K&P doesn't have any. Oh, they'll reference a screenong where a 39 micron long particle got through an HD filter, so what? It was long and skinny. It got through by chance, basically. Even my Beta2000@3 micron filters I spec at work let something through every now and again. No filter is 100%, as has been pointed out.

Someone somewhere will have an issue with any filter and good service out of an empty can. So what, we need to be safely in the middle. good, reliable service.

Anyway, ask K&P for data. Then come up with filtered solvent and a way to verify cleanliness.

Then consider it.

Till then HD or another reliable filter.

I made threaded insert to fit my filtered air compressor nozzle. Spray it down with carb cleaner real good and hit it with 100 lbs air pressure. Was wrapped in old white t-shirt, lots & lots of crude and small pieces came out. I repeated this process ( 3 or 4 times)until t-shirt stayed clean. Thats not hard to do. The 35 micron is absolute. Good enough for me.
wilks3

=================================================

35 micron rated x .000039= .001365 of a inch, with excellent flow. I don't know what else you could want??? I'll spend the extra money to keep engine cleaner.
wilks3

Last edited by a moderator:
Back