free website stats program Uprights and back rest Install? | Harley Davidson Forums

Uprights and back rest Install?

I have a 2008 FXDL and need to install uprights and back rest on it. Before I buy the parts how hard is this and what is the procedure?

Greg

I just installed detachable sissy bar and luggage rack on my 2008 FXDF. I have saddlebags also. Pretty easy install. Remove 2 bolts attaching saddlebags and replace spacer with spacers in mounting kit. Bolts back in. Attach sissy bar and luggage rack to side plates (two screws on each side). Attach sissy bar pad (3 screws). Tools needed. 5/16 socket, torx driver, flat blade screw driver and phillips screwdriver. On a scale of 1 to 10 about a 2.

One other thing, use blue loctite on the threads to prevent them from loosening when you least expect it. Do not use red loctite, else you will have to heat the mounting screws to remove, even an impact wrench with properly fitted bit will not loosen them if they need to be removed...DON'T ASK...:newsmile070:

Thanks for the welcome! I'm in Appomattox. As for the Red vs Blue Locktite I am familiar with that stuff. My question seems to be that looking at the bike I don't have two bolts to remove in order to install the uprights? I see one hex head bolt but the other seems to be a stud. Unless you have to remove the shock bracket?

Greg

I agree it's an easy install. Instructions come with the parts which are easy to follow but I'll give you a quick run down from memory...

The backrest I have done were not removable.

To make getting at the inside bolts easier I lift the bike slightly with a jack to lower the rear wheel.

Removing the rear fender strut bolts (Remove the indicator nut (under the guard) and the other hex bolt which is used by the side plate, loosen the third bolt), slide the side plates in (Careful - no scratches. Unclip the indicator wires from under the fender to allow more flexibility and gently allow the indicator wires to pass through the slots in the back plate. ).

Do up the bolts but allow some movement to fit the upright.

Fit the upright. I put anti seize grease on the upright where they slide in to the side plates as this is a common rust area and difficult to get at once assembled.

Doing up the bottom two upright bolts which barely clear the fender can be fun. I have also done it the other way by assembling the upright in to the sideplates first but it is more tricky to fit and not to scratch the fender and line up the bolts.

Tighten it all up and fit the backrest pad.

Don't forget to clip the indicator wire back under the fender.

Back to this install, I have all the parts and I have one side off, did everyone remove the reflector , or did you just install the uprights over the reflector. If you removed it what did you use to get the sticky stuff off of the paint?

Greg

A bit of lighter fluid takes the sticky remnants off and doesn't damage anything

I used a heat gun to loosen the adhesive, then used dental floss and shimmied it back and forth behind the reflector to cut through the adhesive. As Steve posted, lighter fluid or WD-40 works great to clean up the remains. I finished by using paint cleaner, then applied a good coat of wax before installing the side-plates.

Back