free website stats program Upper fork leg tube bent slightly>>>>> | Harley Davidson Forums

Upper fork leg tube bent slightly>>>>>

skizman

I used a sheet of glass to check upper fork tube. I could slide a piece of paper under bent side, but a plastic credit card would not slide under. Would a small bend like that be critical....or....it isn't bent enough to have any effect on alignment...riding ect..
My other upper fork leg is bent like a banana from the accident.
Your knowledge is very appreciated!
Thanks.
Ski

Any bend in the fork tube would be magnified by the length of the tube and front wheel would be out of alignment if it were mine I would replace it and as you are replacing the other side anyway I would always fit as a pair

Brian

It's bent between the seal cover and the lower triple tree? It will have an adverse (albet slight) effect on handling and may prematurely wear the fork seal out. A slight bend is easy to take out with a press, and any motorcycle shop that works on dirt bikes can do it.

It's bent between the seal cover and the lower triple tree? It will have an adverse (albet slight) effect on handling and may prematurely wear the fork seal out. A slight bend is easy to take out with a press, and any motorcycle shop that works on dirt bikes can do it.
My friend has a press and I'm sure we can bend er back. I already have a replacement for the other tube, so this is good.
Thank you for your replies!!!!!!
Ski

How thick is the pane of glass and how was it supported? Are you certain is was not bowed slightly?

If the tube is truely bent, I agree with Brian and Dolt. The tubes are not expensive. Since you are rebuilding the bike, I would suggest getting new tubes and all the jewelry to rebuild them to like new condition. That way you can check that off the list.

Cheers,

TQ

Any bends will change your front geometry and caster causing tyre wear and handling issues

You need to check the tube to make sure it is round and not just straight. Along with the handling issues you will be wearing out the seals and spacers. If there is any doubt it's time to get new ones.

A lot of great advice. A small bend at the top will be how far off at the bottom. You do not want to find out while trying to install wheel only to find out forks are out of parallel.

Great advice from you guys!! HDDon brought up a good piece of advice about checking the roundness of the tube also.
Thanks very much!!!!!!
Ski

Back