free website stats program Upgrading OEM Solid Rotors to Floating Rotors | Harley Davidson Forums

Upgrading OEM Solid Rotors to Floating Rotors

TQuentin1

Staff member
I had a pulse in the front brakes. One or both of the OEM solid rotors is warped. Decided to upgrade the solids to floating rotors. I was hoping that I could replace all three rotors, but the rear screws are larger diameter than the fronts. So the same floating rotor will not work for all three.

Also replaced the brake pads and the rubber isolator in the rear wheel driven pulley.

Parts:
  • Chrome Floating Brake Rotor-44944-08A
  • Original Equipment Rear Brake Pads-41852-08B
  • Original Equipment Front Brake Pads-41854-08
  • ISOLATOR, RUBBER - 40278-09
Check out the pix on photobucket with the link.

http://s731.photobucket.com/user/TQuentin1/slideshow/Upgrade OEM Solid Rotors to Floating Rotors

Cheers,

TQ

That bike is not very old shame the original rotors did not last longer
I check mine with a dial gauge every so often but have had no problems with the oem factory rotors so far and my bikes are old
Seems like the work crew were over worked I hope they were well paid ;)
Nice set of pics

Brian

Rides (at least STOPS) much better. That pulsing/grabbing of the front brakes due to warped rotors made it very difficult to make a smooth stop particularly with a passenger on board.

Now just have to decide if I want to swap out the rear with another OEM solid. I did do the pads, bled the master and replaced the rubber isolator.

Got the stuff from Boardtracker HD so I think they will make the exchange or credit painlessly.

Cheers,

TQ

I had a pulse in the front brakes. One or both of the OEM solid rotors is warped. Decided to upgrade the solids to floating rotors. I was hoping that I could replace all three rotors, but the rear screws are larger diameter than the fronts. So the same floating rotor will not work for all three.

Also replaced the brake pads and the rubber isolator in the rear wheel driven pulley.

Parts:
  • Chrome Floating Brake Rotor-44944-08A
  • Original Equipment Rear Brake Pads-41852-08B
  • Original Equipment Front Brake Pads-41854-08
  • ISOLATOR, RUBBER - 40278-09
Check out the pix on photobucket with the link.

http://s731.photobucket.com/user/TQuentin1/slideshow/Upgrade OEM Solid Rotors to Floating Rotors
Found a rear brake floating rotor from EBC Brakes - MD521. Got that in very quickly and mounted that on the rear wheel yesterday. Have added a couple of pix to the photobucket slideshow in the link above.

Cheers,

TQ

Back