free website stats program upgrading my 91 FXR to a midglide front end | Harley Davidson Forums

upgrading my 91 FXR to a midglide front end

peteG30

Greetings...I have a friend thats giving me his midglide trees from his 88 Softail and I want to intall them on my 91 FXR. I currently have a narrow glide, and want to upgrade to a midglide... would love to hear any suggestions on how to do the swap. Im not a mechanic, but Im pretty handy with tools.
Thanks..

Shouldn't be to diffacult,swap trees,then assuming the fork tubes are the same diameter swap those into the new trees. you'll have to aquire the correct spacers for the wheel also. I'f you have a reliable indy shop around they could probably steer you in the right direction.

Greetings...I have a friend thats giving me his midglide trees from his 88 Softail and I want to intall them on my 91 FXR. I currently have a narrow glide, and want to upgrade to a midglide... would love to hear any suggestions on how to do the swap. Im not a mechanic, but Im pretty handy with tools.
Thanks..

If you are reusing the forks on your bike be fore you pull them out I would spray them with WD40 to help stop from scratching them upon removal, also spray them before you put them in, also use your manual and TORQUE EVERYTHING PROPERLY. Also buy good neck bearings. Good Luck.

Its not that hard removing the front end! As long as you have a good secure bike lift !
But the new trees are wider so you have to make sure to use the right Axle, Hub, and your front fender brackets to connect to the lower legs !

And torque every Bolt back to H-D to specs! Are these trees 41 mm or 39 mm ?

Im hoping they are 39mm, haven't measure them yet, otherwise Ill just replace the whole front end with the Softail tubes...If I do that will my tire and brake assembly bolt right on? I know I need to get the spacers for the hub,brakes, and fender.
Any suggestion were to get the kit for the tire spacers and brakes etc.

Back