free website stats program Upgrading from stock to Mikuni, what air filter should I go with | Harley Davidson Forums

Upgrading from stock to Mikuni, what air filter should I go with

Dale

I have the 2004 Softtail Standard with the Screamin EagleII pipes and the altered stock carb. I have forever tried to get rid of the embarrasing "hiccup/cough/sputter" by doing all sorts of things with this carb but I am fed up with it and its stupid vacuume operated throttle too, so after much research I am going to go with the Mikuni carb I want to get the 45mm but here is where I have questions.

1: Can I run the 45mm Mikuni on my bike with basically a stock engine?

2: What kind of intake (brand or model) should I attach to it?

I was leaning towards the kuryakyn but so far havent heard anything good performance wise about them other than they are pretty.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I forgot to mention I also have the K&N airfilter with the backing plate removed.

Last edited:
Well I definately dont want vaccume operated anything, when my wrist snaps I want to feel response then not later.:D

Well I definately dont want vaccume operated anything, when my wrist snaps I want to feel response then not later.:D

Then the 42 will be better for you.And you'd do well to brush up on setting up a carb.To get that response from a Mikuni requires some set up time and a few sets of plugs.There's a kit that allows you to retain the OEM air cleaner you have.Check with a good parts guy and he'll find what you need.

Back