free website stats program upgrades | Harley Davidson Forums

upgrades

paisano

What are the pros/cons of installing TF1/stage 1 filter vs tuning kit/dyno by HD/stage 1 filter on 11 FLHX ?
thanks, paisano

The pros with TFI?

Better power,smoother running & cooler running. Easy installation and setup by the user.

The cons....

none

I assume you mean the HD Tuner, very expensive comparatively and dyno time needed to set it up. Cost about 4X what the TFI will run.
Will the dyno with the SERT/SEST run better??? Somewhat but not worth the $1000+ that it costs on a street bike.

And that about sums up the advantages of the TFI. We are runiing street bikes, no need for that last 1% of torque or HP. When you see a shop flog a bike on a dyno you wouldn't want any part of that!

As well with TFI install, if you make any other mods, you can program them into bike. You'd have to take it back to dealer to be adjusted again. Cost for TFI is much less than doing dyno.

Quuick question.... Once one of these units has been installed, adjustments can be made several times to "fine tune" the performance?

And that about sums up the advantages of the TFI. We are runiing street bikes, no need for that last 1% of torque or HP. When you see a shop flog a bike on a dyno you wouldn't want any part of that!

Yeah here are two vids of dyno runs.......I would cry if my bike had to go through that just to eak out an extra couple of horses!

YouTube - ‪Dyno test www.candamoto.com on Harley Davidson Road King 230km 5th Gear‬‏

YouTube - ‪Harley-Davidson FLHTCU Backfires On Dyno Run‬‏

I have had my bike Dnyo 4 times because mods done to the Eng and its more then just getting alittle more hp it also makes sure your air fuel ratio from idle to wide open is 6,000 rpm is correct so there are no lean or rich problems .Also if the person doing the Dnyo knows what he is doing it can be done in 3 to 4 runs to 6,000 rpm . Its just my 2 cents

Maybe we have different understandings of what the Dyno tuning is designed to accomplish. My understanding is that the dyno tune is adjusting fuel and air mixture accross the rpm range in order to get the absolute maximum HP out of the engine. In some cases it may only be 1% increase in HP after completing the dyno. IMO the dyno is a great tool for guys that plan to race their bikes.....that 1% may be the difference in a win/loss on the strip or in the case of track competition the slight advantage in HP will allow a race bike to gain 6 inches over the competitor coming out of a turn at high throttle.....run that 6 inches over hundreds of turns in the race and you are way ahead of the competition. I'm sure there are many opinions out there but IMO my daily rider is fine without a dyno. I don't think I would notice the difference in the way I ride but that is just me. Everyone has their opinions.....this site is a great way to hear them all.:)

Back