free website stats program Upgraded seat for Road King | Harley Davidson Forums

Upgraded seat for Road King

70IronHead

I have seen some posts here describing replacement seats. I am running the stock seat on my 2000 RKC and it is not as comfortable as I would like. Investing $400 in a new seat, sight unseen, is not what I would like to do.

I am looking for your opinions to guide me.

You have lots of options to pick from. Seats from all different suppliers, I think you should check out as many options you can, simply by looking at other bikes you ride with, or at gatherings, bike nights, sponcered rides evan at the dealer, ask the owner of the seat that looks right and maybe see if you can sit on it to get a feel for it, I don't think you can buy a seat with a test ride option but you can always ask before you buy. One seat that is good for someone else may or may not be good for you. Just remember you will be on it for hours.

We bought a reach seat for the wife and fortunatly our local dealer actualy let us try it out with the option of returning it in new condition.We did keep it but that option was a nice gesture.If you take your passenger strap off and swing by your dealer they may let you try what they have in stock.At least up the street and back.Taking the strap off will make swaping them out much easier.

Mustang has been THE way to go for me and the wife. Great product, great customer service, and SUPER comfy. I highly recommend the Mustang.

Are you riding 2 up a lot? Do you have to consider the passenger, do you take a lot of long trips? Reason I ask is I have a 2003 Road King, and I am on my 3 seat. During 2 long trips my wife finds it hard to stay comfortable, we just got back from a 1600 mile trip, and while in Springfield, Mo we stopped and she saw a pillow top seat for a road king and wanted to try it out, she loved it. For me, it moved me forward a bit, but gives me a small back rest. The move forward really didn't bother me too much, since I had moved my boards 2 inches forward. Nice thing about this seat, besides the larger cushion, is it keeps her from sliding forward to wards me. The rear seat has a slight rise to it before it reaches my seat, so it keeps her from naturally sliding forward. She loves it, and if she is happy, I am happy, and we keep on riding. Seat is from HD, Springfield gave me a good deal, $270, which I didn't think was bad.

Are you riding 2 up a lot? Do you have to consider the passenger, do you take a lot of long trips? Reason I ask is I have a 2003 Road King, and I am on my 3 seat. During 2 long trips my wife finds it hard to stay comfortable, we just got back from a 1600 mile trip, and while in Springfield, Mo we stopped and she saw a pillow top seat for a road king and wanted to try it out, she loved it. Seat is from HD, Springfield gave me a good deal, $270, which I didn't think was bad.

Mark, yes on the 2 up, maybe 50/50. Yes on the long trips, I just returned from a 1200 miler last week and I feel there has to be a better, softer, etc for "MY" seat. It really wasn't that comfortable.

I will check with my local HD dealer when I stop in. Do you remember the name of the seat or is it just the pillow look? I also like the detail of her being higher up so she can see over the top of my helmet.

Do dealers usually give a "try-out"?

I have had a couple of Mustang seats and have nothing but praise for them. Expensive, yes, but well worth the money. I put one on my '99 Ultra ($375) and the level of comfort over the stock HD seat is worth five times that amount.

I put a Sundowner seat on my bike this past spring, just over 300 if I remember right.
My dealer guaranties satisfaction on everything for 30 days. I could have returned for full refund if I didn't like it as long as it was in like new condition. I still have it and am very happy with it.

I will check with my local HD dealer when I stop in. Do you remember the name of the seat or is it just the pillow look? I also like the detail of her being higher up so she can see over the top of my helmet.

Do dealers usually give a "try-out"?

It was called Pillow look seat, I think the # is 51102-01A, on the web it says srp is $299 and that was what this one retailed for. My wife likes the higher also, and the extra cushion.

Also, they did let me take it out to the bike and put it on, he said I could take it for a ride, but we didn't need to, wife loved it from the first. And it's not broke in yet.
Normally I am not a HD seat fan, seems like you pay to much, but my first seat was a corbin (way too hard, and overpriced), next was a mustang, (not bad, I could have kept it but needed something more for the wife (and I paid $350 for the mustang), now I have the HD, we will see how it lasts, but for now It seems like the best seat for the money for us.
Mark

Back