free website stats program Upgrade on rear tire??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Upgrade on rear tire???

trophy666

I am just about to replace my rear tire on my 09 fxdb it runs a stock 160/-17 i have seen the tire on the 2010 wide glide and it runs a 180/60-17 does anyone know it this tire would be a direct fit on my 17" inch rim?I would really like a wider tire without any modifications...has anyone else gone wider on their stock rim?thanks for the look!

Trophy; Here's a quick answer while you are waiting for someone with your year and model to answer. See how much room there is between the tire and the belt/guard. If you can't get your finger in there, you can't put bigger rubber on without mods. I think the 160 is a 6.25" wide and the 180 is 7+".

I am just about to replace my rear tire on my 09 fxdb it runs a stock 160/-17 i have seen the tire on the 2010 wide glide and it runs a 180/60-17 does anyone know it this tire would be a direct fit on my 17" inch rim?I would really like a wider tire without any modifications...has anyone else gone wider on their stock rim?thanks for the look!

Here's a pic of the Screaming Eagle 180 on my 06 Super Glide.

Picture004.jpg

Couple different ways to get it done. You can buy it through Harley as part of the "Wide Tire Kit" or you can just buy the 180/60-17 SE tire by itself. The wide tire kit is basically a set of brackets, used to replace the original brackets under the fender, which changes the hardware so no bolt heads are under the fender to make contact with the tire. The kit also has some hardware to secure and protect wiring from the rear signals.

180tirediagram.jpg

180tirekit.jpg

A lot of dealers will not mount the 180 tire without you buying it in the kit, they claim for liability reasons. I bought the tire only, took my rear wheel off, and had my dealer mount it with no questions. The tire by itself cost me about $175.00 from Latus HD. I think the wide tire kit is about $100.00 more.

If you decide to do the tire without the kit, just make sure all wiring which runs on the underside of the fender is secured as close to the fender walls as possible.

Jmpancoast has you covered, but do be careful to note that the kit is for "stock" bike, if you have lowered the bike by changing shock length and such, the tire may already be very close to the fender; turn signal/tail light wiring loom and hardware in the kit may not be enough to work as intended.

Do inspect the area first, if you see evidence of tire scuffing or scraping hardware underneath, you may have to do additional mods besides just the kit as he also pointed out at the end of his post.

Just to follow-up on NEWHD74FAN's info above, my bike is lowered 1.6" in the rear with 11" Progressive shocks. I have also a different rear signal set-up so I have no wires under the fender to worry about. I get no rubbing of the tire, but the original factory wiring would probably not have survived the close relationship of the wider tire and the lowered fender. If the 180 is going on a lowered bike, I DEFINITELY recommend the kit.

Thanks for the info i too have lowered the the w/the burly slammer kit 10.5 inch shocks, I can fit about a finger between the tire and the wiring assembly under the fender so I think it will be close. The kit, will it be effective on a lowered bike? [Edit] Every thing cost HD (High Dollar)???!!!!!!!

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the info i too have lowered the the w/the burly slammer kit 10.5 inch shocks i can fit about a finger between the tire and the wiring assembly under the fender so i think it will be close.The kit, will it be effective on a lowered bike?Damn every thing cost HD(High Dollar)!!!!!!!!

I wish I could tell you the kit definitely will protect the wiring and that you will not run into rubbing, but I just don't know. I feel the wiring is the most vunerable component. I think tire rubbing will only be an issue if your wheel is not properly aligned or centered in the fender.

As I mentioned, I put the touring model rear signals on mine, not only because I liked the look, but they also eliminated the under-fender wiring.

NEWHD74FAN, thanks for the comments!

Since Jmpancoast used 11" shocks AND removed the under fender wiring, and the Burly Kit uses a 10.5" shock, I would err on the side of getting the kit AND relocating the wiring...a clearance the width of your finger is not much as a tire expands at speed w/ road jousting does not sound like enough. Using both for your specialty item is probably a good idea to prevent damage, just doing the math.

Back