free website stats program update on the oil in my bikes | Harley Davidson Forums

update on the oil in my bikes

67hat34c

When I first started on this web site we were discussing Amsoil which i am a user. I have used it in my 08 xl1200c since it was new, its getting ready to turn 30k miles. I believe Glider said the clutch would start to slip from using it, not so.

Secondly was told not to use the amsoil EA filter as it was to fine for the sportster and would cause engine damage, not so.

Sportster is mechanically perfect in every way No ill effects as was told would happen.

Have a report on my softail that will post in another thread.

To each his own. As the great Jack always says, "its your ride you decide."
As to the failure on your Heritage you have escaped a big one. I bet that you also do not follow the manufactures recommendation on intervals of service and perform more frequently which has been a positive for you.

When I first started on this web site we were discussing Amsoil which i am a user. I have used it in my 08 xl1200c since it was new, its getting ready to turn 30k miles. I believe Glider said the clutch would start to slip from using it, not so.

Secondly was told not to use the amsoil EA filter as it was to fine for the sportster and would cause engine damage, not so.

Sportster is mechanically perfect in every way No ill effects as was told would happen.

Have a report on my softail that will post in another thread.

I have a question, would you have made a post if the clutch was slipping or the engine blew up?

Most advise is given based on past experience or knowledge on the subject. It all comes down to personal preference, use what works for you.

I think I have to agree with Jeff and dbmg on this. If someone on this site gives you their opinion on something it is because they have seen first hand or have read articles on whatever the subject is. Because you have not experienced the problems does not mean that others have not. I'm glad your bike is performing well and that the oil you use is working for you. 30,000 miles in todays bike world is not a lot and you could still experience some if not all of the related problems. If like me you change your fluids more frequently than the MOCO recommends I personally don't think it matters which fluids you use as long as they meet specs. Good luck with your bikes, but please don't think anyone here would intentionally give you bad advice.

Of course i would post if i had a problem. See my other post regarding my softail.
as most are here i am a shade tree self taught mechanic. I have built big blocks and small blocks, have also rebuild an 82 goldwing bike and motor, latest project. So yes i have seen the inside of engines and know the importance of proper oil changes. I also know who to ask which is why i called Doc Weaver. I also discussed the oil issue with a testing lab, Dyson out of texas. He confirmed that the use of premium oil not just any oil likely will be the saving grace for my softail. He did not say amsoil is the best but did say that it is one of the best. if you dont believe me then ask him yourself. I chose not to use amsoils own lab or their vendor lab and wanted someone completely unbiased.

My comments regarding my sportster were based on what was told to me on this site. they said clutch would slip at around 20k;, didnt happen, fact i questioned this initially stating that clutch is adjustable so why would it slip after 20k and not right away. Believe me i ride the sporty very hard to the point i snapped a drive belt doing a hole shot. see my post on that from 3 years ago, approx.
The filter issue was the same thing. they said it would starve the engine and it would result in damage, this also not true. Lots of misinformation out there. Just like when synthetic came out it was said that you cant use it in new engine because it would not break in properly, also not true. fact is that many new cars come with mobil one in them from the factory. Mercedes is one of them.

Lots of misinformation out there.

You are aware that the Internet is the bathroom wall of the world of information. 90% is nothing more than a concocted point of view of someones thinking towards something. So you need to discern what is good or bad for you and only you and the rest does not really matter.......:eam
The internet is more like a assumption, and you know what the definition of assume is????:bigsmiley4:

I would respectfully disagree with you about using synthetic oil for your breakin and I believe most engine experts would as well. I'm a synthetic oil user but would never use it until I had a few hundred miles under my belt and felt everything had time to seat.

As stated before, it's your ride so you choose what you works for you.

Back