free website stats program Update on IDS | Harley Davidson Forums

Update on IDS

SteveB

Sorry it took so long to get back....been busy.....OK..So I ordered an IDS from Zanotti's H-D. They were very helpful when placing order and follow-up before shipping. They were out of stock so they had to order one; I had them press bearing into sprocket, very nominal charge to do this procedure. The IDS arrived in a very timely manner , delivered by UPS. I have to rate their customer service a "10" for this purchase. The install went very smoothly and since I already had rear wheel off, for a new tire, it only took about 30 minutes or less to install components.
As I stated before I didn't have any transmission problems, and maybe just a minimal and I mean very minimal "noise" in 5th gear. I was skeptical about even ordering this component because I thought it might be a waste of money in my particular situation.
Boy, was I impressed with the ride after install !!! It really smoothed out transmission surges, shifting and general overall smoothness of ride. Lower rpm's (2200-2500rpms) in 5th gear were smooth and quiet and generally all gears were smooth (almost felt like shaft drive).
I rode the Blue Ridge Parkway last week-end after install (about 600 mi. round trip) and I could really tell a difference in overall ride of an already "flawless" motorcycle, wife who is passenger was impressed with ride also.
I also changed brake pads to the Lyndall z pads... so not was I able to GO ...But..was able to STOP also.
The IDS was worth the money (especially with Zanotti's discount) and I was VERY IMPRESSED WITH IT !!! If you are considering it do yourself a favor and go ahead and get it ...You will not be disappointed. It is one upgrade for the '07 tourer's that really makes a difference.
Hope this is helpful for those of you that are considering the IDS upgrade, don't wait go ahead and DO IT !!!

SteveB

Thanks for the update. I've been considering on my 07 RK. My 5th gear whine is pretty noisy. Is it an easy install for somone you isn't too mechanically inclined?

It is easily done if you have a lift..... If you have ever taken your rear wheel off just make sure your spacers are correct when installing the dish and sprocket.....You would need a torque wrench and the right sockets...But the instructions are fairly easy to follow and I believe that Glider has a post on how to install it on forum. If you have a little mechanical aptitude and can follow instructions ...Yes it is fairly simple! I also like to save the bucks :newsmile093: and work on it myself ....at least I know what has been done!!!

Thanks SteveB. Mine should be here tomorrow and I hope to either try to install it myself or have it done.

I have a Sears motorcycle jack and changed rear tires on my last bike. But it had a drive shaft and about 300 lbs lighter. Have not gotten the courage to try the jack under the EG yet.

Thanks for the update. I've been considering on my 07 RK. My 5th gear whine is pretty noisy. Is it an easy install for somone you isn't too mechanically inclined?

It's not a difficult installation with a lift. It is much easier if you have a helper to line up the back wheel when going back on because it's a bit close back there with only 2 hands.

Here's the instructions if you want to look it over first.

IDS Installation Link 1

IDS Installation Link 2

Thanks Glider, I had downloaded that a while back. I will probably take a shot at it here in the next couple of months. I do have friends that can help so it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks SteveB. Mine should be here tomorrow and I hope to either try to install it myself or have it done.

I have a Sears motorcycle jack and changed rear tires on my last bike. But it had a drive shaft and about 300 lbs lighter. Have not gotten the courage to try the jack under the EG yet.
SGt York, you should be fine with the e.g. on the lift. We have a lift from Sears, and I lift hubbies eg with out any problems. It was pretty scary at first so I would have him standing by just in case there were any problems, but I went slow and steady, didn't have any problems letting the bike down either, so now, he lets me play unattended. :D I may even go out and wash the bikes this evening and work on shining up his wheels that you can't see, but they need cleaning IMO. :s

Had the IDS installed today!! He charged $40.00 to install the IDS plus changing the air in my tires to nitrogen.

The only sound I hear now is normal engine noise. Much better! Seems to be smoother also, but that just might be me.

Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction.

Back