free website stats program UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL

Anybody who may still be following this thread (or stumbles across it...)

Wanted to share that Truck-Lite is preparing to release a new version of their headlight... been informally dubbed the Phase 7...

I had a chance to get some info on the 'Phase 7' headlight...

I think it will be very interesting in many respects.

First - it addresses many who commented on the appearance of the P6 - the P7 physical unit looks more like traditional halogen lighting units, as far as the lens and reflector - yep, reflector. The LED is mounted to be rear projection into a complex reflector. There is one LED each for low & high - new technology obviously.

There has even been an update since the SEMA show - at SEMA, low beam and high beam had different LEDs, with high beam being a lower output. That's been updated, using the same higher output LED for both. The reflector was also updated to handle the higher output.

As with the P6 - high beam is added to low beam (as opposed to HD, where the low beam is switched off when high beam is selected); so both LEDs will be activated. Yet, the current draw will be LESS than P6 in both modes - over 25% less on low beam and 20% less on high.

Wish I could say I've actually seen this in my hand - so far just pictures.

Stay tuned, as I get more info I'll share. I hope to do a full review very soon.

I'm sure I'm not the only one following this thread. When you get more info or actually know where to go to get the new model be sure to let us know. Thanks, Don

The new version hasn't been released yet...

They state release as "Quarter 1, 2012" - technically anytime between now and March 31. Reading between the lines of the conversation I had - will likely be sooner, rather than later - but officially "Quarter 1, 2012".

I know - :(

I'll do my best to keep the thread updated...

My 2 cents. I have a 2011 RKC with Harley's LED headlight and their LED driving lights. My point is, yes the light output is amazing but contrary to the findings on the very good Head Light Comparison, I find that my visibility to oncoming vehicles is excellent. I say this because my riding buddy has the Harley LED headlight and when he is behind me or coming toward me his light is very noticeable. Super easy install and beautiful quality. Not cheap, but money well spent. What is the value of safety ? All the $ people will spend on a FARKLE (Fancy, Accessory,Really, Kool, Likely, Expensive) it surprises me when I hear how pricey they are. See and be seen !!

Kuryakyn has posted a page regarding the new Phase 7 - including the passing lamps...
Harley Davidson Motorcycle Parts And Accessories | Kryakyn

Someone on another forum called Kury tech support - was told mid-Feb, early-Mar availability.

I believe there is something coming out around the time of the V-Twin Expo about the lights...

I think the stated availability is about right.

I'm doing my best to find out what I can...

- bogie
McHenry County Road Pirates
www.mchenrycountyroadpirates.org

American by Birth, Biker by Choice, Patriot Forever

@ Brad214 -

No question the JW/HD (and TL) are very noticeable when coming at you or behind you - in the 'line of fire' so to speak... it's the traffic at an angle to you (at a cross street) where the TL P6 has the advantage with greater peripheral light.

We'll have to see how the P7 stacks up...

- bogie
McHenry County Road Pirates
www.mchenrycountyroadpirates.org

American by Birth, Biker by Choice, Patriot Forever

Apparently, Kury has stopped access to the Phase 7 page (either of the links above)

While I have not heard any specifics on the passing lamps - based on what was shown on the Kury website before it was turned off, it appears they're in the works.

I'm hopeful to have more info after the V-Twin Expo...

Stay tuned...

I promised ya’ll an update after the V-Twin Expo…

I don’t think you will be disappointed.

The passing lamps have been redesigned also. They are a match to the new headlight. I’ve attached pictures I took of pre-production models… there may be some minor tweaks between these and production models (like the silver screws seen in the headlight will be black…)

With the lights off, the look is more like that of traditional headlight & passing lamps – clear lens, with a silver reflector at the back of the case.

With the lights on they still appear different – all three have only the top portion lit. In the case of the headlight, when selected, the high beam will light the lower portion, in addition to the low beam. The passing lamps – the lower portion currently has a flat, highly reflective chrome look.

I have not had a chance to see the lights for myself in the dark yet. At the expo, the demo bike had the Phase 7 lights, but also the Halo rings of LEDs that Kury offers – and being inside in a well lit expo hall made it impossible to see the pattern of the lights. But I took one for the team and looked directly into the beam – unbelievably bright and white.

The headlight display stand had a Phase 6 mounted next to a Phase 7. This really emphasized the difference in appearance… Unfortunately, the amount of light washed out any attempt I made to photograph the stand.

Pictures I was shown comparing the Phase 7 to the JW/HD and halogen lights once again indicate the dingy, dull yellow light halogens are in comparison to either LED offering. The Phase 7 pictures showed a more controlled light pattern, with a better spread and almost no noticeable ‘hot spot’ But, I will reserve further comment until I can see the lights mounted in my bike at night.

As far as daytime appearance – initial reaction is it will be good, but not quite as much a ‘pop’ as the Phase 6. This is based on the view inside a building, so again I need to reserve comment until I can see them outside in the daylight.

I do have a set to test and hope to do that as soon as the weather cooperates – with all intentions of having it done and posted before the release of the lights. Release is currently scheduled to coincide with Daytona Bike Week – Mar 9-18.

Power draw on the new lights is less than Phase 6 lights and less than JW/HD – more light, less power draw – win/win.

If you have any specific questions, I’ll try to get answers.

I do want to remind that I do not have any affiliation with anyone on this - I just like the product and want to share my thoughts.

Attachments

• P7 Headlight 1.jpg
    P7 Headlight 1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 38
  • P7 - Headlight 2.jpg
    P7 - Headlight 2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 32
  • P7 - Passing 1.jpg
    P7 - Passing 1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 36
  • P7 - Passing 2.jpg
    P7 - Passing 2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 30
  • P7 - Passing 3.jpg
    P7 - Passing 3.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 31
A bit of an update - the weather has still been terrible -

Here is a link to a PDF with pictures of the lights installed in my Ultra...

http://bogiesreviews.webs.com/Phase%207%20Installed.pdf

Nothing fancy - taken with my cell phone camera, in the garage, no staging - just so you can get an idea of how they look with just the mounting ring, then the stock trim ring and then the 'frenched' trim ring.

Hope to get to the performance testing as soon as the weather allows...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back