free website stats program UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL

I am not in front of this fitment issue but I have what may be a dumb question.

Are the screw heads exposed and seen when all is installed and finished. If not, can't you just elongate the holes to slots in the ring to make the mounting screws fit. Then at a later date when the correct mounting ring is released by HD, get one and install it so the job looks "factory".
Hoople.... Thanks for looking.

No such thing as a stupid question......
I've added a couple of pictures, one showing both screws installed (just like the original HL bucket) and the other distant picture shows the two screws in and the other side needing screws. Both pictures are showing the new ring.
Also one picture before adding anything.

The ring and screws would all be covered after everything has been assembled

I could make the ring work "if" I bought it used or eBay but new from the dealer, I expect it to be right, not making do.
My fix would be to drill all the holes out with a little bit bigger drill bit, thereby giving some "adjustment" room and the ring could be centered properly. Wouldn't want to open up just two holes because the ring wouldn't be centered in the fairing.

Me drilling the holes would nulify my warranty or return possibility. I doubt they would let me exchange the altered ring at a later date and I don't want to buy one. They are $51.81 plus tax.

Just don't care to start the screws and let the screws pull the fairing in. Too much stress on the holes. One thing if the dealership did it but you're on your own if you install the ring yourself.

I'll wait until the problem is resolved but I was told it would probably be a winter timeslot for resolution.

Until then, I'll put my Kuryakyn/Truck-Lite LED HL in. Nice and bright and I like that white light. Very visible.

Attachments

• Headlight 023.JPG
    Headlight 023.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Headlight 026.JPG
    Headlight 026.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Headlight 020.JPG
    Headlight 020.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 32
gusotto,
Looking at the mounting ring it looks to be the correct one. When I installed mine I had a similar issue on figuring out which screw holes to use. I did not have to drill any new holes, and you should not have to either. I have attached a picture of the mounting ring on my bike so you can see the screw placements.

Attachments

• Mounting_ring.jpg
    Mounting_ring.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Well it was a quiet 4th of July and I sat there, looking at my empty headlight fairing so I decided to try placing the new HL ring, just to see how it might fit, even though the holes are not quite what they should be.

Talked to the parts manager and he said if I felt uncomfortable with the way the holes are off, I could return the kit.
Great dealership!

I did get the ring mounted but there are things a person should do that aren't mentioned (but should be) in the installation instructions.

The three screws that retain the headlight have screw into some new holes in the ring that should be tapped but aren't!

The new ring is much heavier metal, not that thin sheet metal like the original bucket.

I didn't have a handy tap. The screws are "self-tapping" but it's quite a chore to get them in.
I had to lay the ring on the cement and bear down with the screwdriver to get the screws in. A piece of wood was needed the keep the ring in the proper position. The ring will flex and you'll just have a slanted start if you don't place something under the ring.

You have to get the screws started before placing the ring in the fairing because so much pushing is needed, you'll run the risk of cracking the fairing.

Just get the screws started 1st. Important!

Now that the screws that will hold the ring that keeps the headlight in place are in the ring, you might as well put the HL in the new ring. Easier to control and less likely to drop out and hit the fender.

Start the screws into the fairing on one side a little bit, you have to squeeze to get the other side started.
Don't get too anxious and make sure the screws are started straight (90 degrees), not cocked/slanted slightly.
It does draw the ring into place.

Got the HL in and hooked up.
Really bright at night.
Bright enough that I think if I meet a car with the brights on at night, I'll probably get flashed.
Already have the LED spots. OK to run with the on in the day but really throw out LOTS of light at night. May be too much in town.

Too bad the new ring isn't pre-tapped for the retaining ring screws. It should be!

Got the HL in and hooked up.
Really bright at night.

Happy to see your up and running.!
After extended use (1-2 hours), does the glass fog at all? I am wondering if the model "A" part number has anything to do with that also.

Happy to see your up and running.!
After extended use (1-2 hours), does the glass fog at all? I am wondering if the model "A" part number has anything to do with that also.
I rode for a couple of hours when it was getting toward evening. Just to see what they were like in the dark.

The HL was perfectly clear but the Harley LED aux/passing lights each had a little haze in-line with each LED unit (3).

I showed off the lights to the parts manager and had him note my comment regarding the haze.

A further issue with moisture? The evening was dry, we haven't had rain for a couple of weeks.

I'm going to try riding more with all the lights on in the day and see what happens.

They better last a long time because if you're on a X-country ride and the LED HL goes out, there is no running to the local store for a replacement bulb.

I'm going to email JW Speaker and see if they cover the light with their 4 year warranty, even though Harley is good for only 90 days.
Either set is expensive. Wish there wasn't a problem.

Went on a 25 mile ride today, during the day but kept the aux/passing lights on.
Got caught in a light shower.
Rode back to the dealer and looked at all three of the LED lights.

Aux/passing lights were hazy with a moisture look in them Just installed them 5/10/11. Less than two months ago.
Wonder if this was what the problem with the 1st batch of H-D LED HL's?

Had service document the hazy condition and I showed them to the parts manager. Wanted it noted for future in case there is a problem or improvment with the LED aux lights.

Attachments

• foggy lights 013.JPG
    foggy lights 013.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 22
  • foggy lights 014.JPG
    foggy lights 014.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 22
  • foggy lights 015.JPG
    foggy lights 015.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 22
  • foggy lights 016.JPG
    foggy lights 016.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 23
Nice looking setup indeed. I bet it lights up the road. Let us know what JW Speaker says about the warranty.

I called JW Speaker and they passed the question regarding extended warranty on the H-D branded LED HL's to someone and will get back to me "sometime."
I'll pass on any info I find out.

I did let them know about the fogging of the H-D LED passing/aux lights.
Can't fix it if they don't know about the problem.

to someone and will get back to me "sometime."

I don't like to hear answers such as that. I will give it a week or so and then I will call also with the same request. It looks like they are a pretty small company and they may just respond if they see multiple calls.

Score a FREE set of Truck-Lite LEDs!

Just wanted to let those following this thread on the LED headlights and passing lamps know…

Truck-Lite is giving away a set of their LEDs (headlight and a pair of passing lamps) on their Facebook page. All you need to do is go to their page; ‘Like’ them; upload a picture of yourself on your bike, with an explanation of why you need better lighting. (REM: TL is the supplier to Kuryakyn). A great way to get into a set of LEDs...
(I am not associated with TL in any way other than I like their products).

I’d include which forum you saw this on to help promote the forum as well.

Let me know if you’re the lucky one…

- bogie
McHenry County Road Pirates
www.mchenrycountyroadpirates.org
Helping a 17 year old Crystal Lake girl with heart transplant expenses

Assistant Senior Ride Captain, IL Patriot Guard, Region 7

Back