free website stats program UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL

Humbled? Don't be, you made a GREAT point. LED's do last a Very Very long time.

I just wish Harley thought they would last more than 90 days!!:)

Took the bike to the dealer so they could "try" to get the ring mounted.

Didn't work. Even the dealership owner gave a try.
Didn't work.

They have called Harley tech support. See what happens.

Took the bike to the dealer so they could "try" to get the ring mounted.

Didn't work. Even the dealership owner gave a try.
Didn't work.

They have called Harley tech support. See what happens.

Is the ring all that complex. You can't modify it to work? Cosmetic issue or mechanical. I had a ring on mine also, so I think I know what your talking about (?).

Is the ring all that complex. You can't modify it to work? Cosmetic issue or mechanical. I had a ring on mine also, so I think I know what your talking about (?).
Just take the old HL bucket out and replace with the new....
That's what the instructions say but the holes in the new ring don't match.
The rings are held in by 4 screws. When two screws are in, the holes don't line up where the other two holes are suppose to be. Can't even see the holes. You can't make new holes as the fairing has specific placement (reinforced) spots for the screws.

The dealer has two locations and they have placed a dozen LED lights at the other location. I'm the 1st at this location. The other dozen HL's were under the old PN/kit.
I have an early kit with the new PN ("A") suffix. Got it late May. I'm probably one of the 1st with the new PN.
They did order a new replacement ring, didn't help.

Personal opinion..... when they produced the new batch, the new rings are manufactured with the wrong holes. Lets face it. I have two HL rings and neither ring will fit. Even the dealer couldn't get it to fit!

You can't make new holes as the fairing has specific placement (reinforced) spots for the screws.

I see. And yet the "fitment listing" on the box says it is for your exact year and model.?

My LED kit was actually just the opposite. The kit said "fits to 1991 to 2005 Dyna's" but I purchased it anyway because I was going to MAKE it fit my 2009 Dyna. But I did not have to do anything, ,,it bolted in without any modification.

The Moco needs technical help. They are too into apparel if you ask me. Just joining their survey team showed me that.

The PN is correct.
73390-10A LED Touring 7" Headlight fits '92 and later Touring models.

When two screws are placed, (4 total from old and to be reused for new) the other two screws miss the hole by about 1/4". Barely see the edge of the old holes.

Personal feeling is when they produced the new headlights with "A" PN suffix, they didn't place the holes properly in the HL ring.
I'm sure if I had a ring from the earlier kit, it would all work.

Gone through two rings and neither fit. The Dealership owner and parts department all tried and they agreed that both new rings don't fit.

Been without a HL for over three weeks, thinking the correct part is "on the way." Bike has been sitting and it's great riding time.
I do have the Sporty to ride but I want to make a long trip and I'll use the Ultra for that.
If I put the stock HL in to make a ride, then the other HL (LED) will be returned.
A $525 part that doesn't fit isn't right!

It's times like this when I think of the water jet machine at Orange County Choppers.
How easy and painless it would be to turn out a perfect part that would fit.

Hope I got some pictures downloaded showing how far off the holes are. Two screws are already in, showing what you have to use for the other two.

Factory rep was in this week and said it is the same ring they have used in the past in earlier kits.
Squeezing the fairing until the screws are started, then the screws are tightened, pulling the fairing in.

Basically putting a lot of stress on the fairing screw holes.
Parts manager said he didn't like that idea (neither did I) and if I want to return the kit, I can (and will.)

Attachments

• Headlight 025.JPG
    Headlight 025.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Headlight 024.JPG
    Headlight 024.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 24
Factory rep was in this week and said it is the same ring they have used in the past in earlier kits. They are aware the fit isn't a good fit.
Squeezing the fairing until the screws are started, then the screws are tightened, pulling the fairing in.

Factory is aware of the issue but it probably won't be addressed until this winter.
"If" better fitting rings are placed in the kit, the dealer will give me the same discount if I care to buy again.

Sure would have liked to have the Harley LED HL to match the Harley aux/passing lights I already have mounted.

Factory is aware of the issue but it probably won't be addressed until this winter.

I am not in front of this fitment issue but I have what may be a dumb question.

Are the screw heads exposed and seen when all is installed and finished. If not, can't you just elongate the holes to slots in the ring to make the mounting screws fit. Then at a later date when the correct mounting ring is released by HD, get one and install it so the job looks "factory".

Back