free website stats program UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL

i got moisture on the spots but not the headlight also .. and what a difference they make i have hd on rkc and Tl on the FB

i got moisture on the spots but not the headlight also .. and what a difference they make i have hd on rkc and Tl on the FB

Which do you like better, Bud? The HD or the TL? and why? Just curious of your opinion.

Bodeen

Took my old headlight bucket out because it has to be replaced. (The new HL won't fit.) Added the new hardware and the new HL bucket/ring didn't fit! The holes don't match to put the screws in! Rode the bike to the dealer (sans HL) to show them. A new ring is now on order. Been two weeks now and expect a long wait. Good thing I have my Sporty to ride. I'll update when the new ring comes in. A $524.95 part and it needs a correction!

The replacement ring came in yesterday. Hooray!!!!

Took it home and the new ring didn't fit!:(:( Wonder what the deal is?
Old headlight bucket fits perfectly. New ring, the holes don't line up. Wonder if because of the new production (suffix PN "A") if the latest batch of HL rings are all off. I know earlier kits fit, wonder if the new ones are defective?

There is a set place for the screws so you don't drill new holes. Fiberglass fairing can't be repositioned. Either the holes line up or they don't!

Dealer has both defective rings. Going to send one ring to his sister store and if either store has work that requires the headlight bucket to be removed, they are going to do a stare-and-compare on the other bike.

This is the first I've heard of a moisture problem with the JW/HD. I don't believe Travis has experienced that...

No such issue with the TL to my knowledge (certainly not with the 5 in my riding group that now have them).

The warranty thing really ain't right...

Having a 90 day warranty would tell me they don't expect them to last long. I would look elsewhere for a replacement lamp myself.

Amazing. If you go to JW Speakers web site and look up the exact LED headlight Harley is selling under their name,, it comes with a 4 YEAR warranty. Things like this make me crazy.

JW Speaker claims their LED gives 20 times the life of a HID capsule which I can't believe for a second.

Attachments

• LEDmodel-8700-7-round.pdf
    239.1 KB · Views: 29
You should believe it. A typical, well made LED can last around 70,000 hours of use. A typical HID bulb (or whatever it's called) will only last around 2000, maybe 3000 hours or so.

A typical, well made LED can last around 70,000 hours of use.

Yes, that is true if you look at the LED element as a stand alone device without the power supply. What I should have said was "YES" the led element may last 20X a HID capsule, but I doubt the complete LED headlight (as an assembly) will out last a HID capsule/ballast combination by a factor of 20:1.

Without question I have received 5 years (actually more) of service out of a Phillips D2R Xenarc capsule and Bosch Ballast. Would I ever expect 100 years (20X) of service from a Harley LED headlight. No, I would not.

The root problem is the Harley headlight is not a serviceable item. If it has problem with the power supply, the entire unit has to be replaced.

The intent of my earlier statement was that JW Speaker IMPLIES their LED headlight assembly will outlast HID by a factor of 20X and I don't believe it will happen. At least not as an ENTIRE assembly. Sure the LED element may still be good but what good is it. The $500 headlight as an assembly is now useless.

But I DO agree with your statement. LED's do have a very long service life. It's the rest of the associated electronics I worry about. The problem is I won't live long enough (30 years) to NOT prove JW-Speakers claim.! :)

It's funny how they can "project" a usable life of 50 years when the topology has only been around for the last 5 years. Don't we need to wait a little longer to REALLY know.:)

Touche, Hoople. I do stand corrected, and didn't think of it like that. The capacitors and resistors are likely to burn out or short long before that LED does....I, sir, am humbled.

Back