free website stats program UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL

I went on Ebay to look. Could not find a seller called HID Direct. Did you mean HIDS-Direct out of the UK? That was the closest hit I could find..

Has anyone compared Kuryakyn LED headlight/auxiliary light to Harleys??
Just wondering...since HD's are almost $400 more. Any input from experience would be great.

The Truck-Lite headlight and passing lamps ARE what Kuryakyn sells/distributes.

Take another look at the write-up...

Respectfully,

A quick update for those interested...

I tested a headlight (high beam) modulator with the TL LED headlight... the model made for incandescent bulbs did not work due to the inherent difference between how incandescents and LEDs work (filiment heating up/cooling down vs chip on or off). So the company reworked the programming to work with the LED and now if functions within the DOT parameters.

I used / will use it primarilly in the rain - anything to get some extra attention - and it does get attention. Some even pull over - guess they don't know about modulators being allowed on bikes...

It's by Kisan Electronincs in CO, Safety Electronics For Motorcycles. Contact Andy and tell him you need the LED version of the PW115 (not listed yet on their website).

In the interest of better lights and safety, I decided to get some LED headlights.

Tried the Truck-Lite HL but it was the phase 5 and returned it. Bought it last Feb. and the 1st time I rode at night, the light had some areas that didn't cover.

I was going on a ride to the west coast and still wanted the LED HL. Read the review and decided on the TL (phase 6) because the review pictures indicated better visibility (being seen) in the day, compared to the Harley HL.

Bought the TL (late May) and as I was heading home (just leaving the store), I saw a group of riders and one bike stood out with the lights. Turned around and checked his bike and he had the Harley HL. Guess the pictures didn't capture as well. There I am with my new TL in the truck.....

The local Harley dealer said the new H-D HL wouldn't be shipped until at least the middle of June. He knew I was interested and placed an order in April, just in case I wanted it. They were curious and offered 20% off as I was the test bike. I already had the HD LED Aux lights.

Rumor was the early HD HL had a moisture problem. New batch was back-ordered.

Bought the TL late May on a Friday. Walked in the Harley shop on Monday and they said "Look what we have!" It was the new Harley LED HL with a new PN. Added an "A" to the original PN.

Ended up buying the HL as it was the only one they had. Next guy on the waiting list was ready to take it and I wouldn't get the 20%.

Took my old headlight bucket out because it has to be replaced. (The new HL won't fit.) Added the new hardware and the new HL bucket/ring didn't fit! The holes don't match to put the screws in! Rode the bike to the dealer (sans HL) to show them. A new ring is now on order. Been two weeks now and expect a long wait. Good thing I have my Sporty to ride. I'll update when the new ring comes in. A $524.95 part and it needs a correction!

Where/how did you hear of that rumor.

I just purchased a HD LED in the 5-3/4" version and it does (did) have a moisture problem. There was no "A" after the part number. My headlight had to be ordered from HD directly because my supplier did not have it in stock. It makes me mad that they would not stop shipping an item with a KNOWN problem. I did not want to send my headlight back and deal with all the shipping/cost issues so tried fixing it on my own and got lucky with success.

I am going to call up HD and give them an ear-full.

Bought the TL (late May) and as I was heading home (just leaving the store), I saw a group of riders and one bike stood out with the lights. Turned around and checked his bike and he had the Harley HL. Guess the pictures didn't capture as well. There I am with my new TL in the truck.....

I did notice the rider with all three Harley LED lights had some moisture on the inside of his LED Aux. lights. Didn't see any on his LED HL. He got his lights as a Xmas present.

I haven't noticed any moisture on my HD LED Aux. lights but I haven't had them in long enough to find out. Still waiting on the replacement mounting ring to put the new HL in.

Interesting how Harley says the LED lights last soooo long but only has a 90 warranty.
Truck-Lite is 3 years!
Can't Harley back the lights with longer warranty?
If the Harley light goes bad, I won't be spending another $500 for a replacement light!

My dealer said that is a problem to be addressed. After-market items with longer warranty than Harley.

The actual performance of the HD LED headlight is impressive. It makes ridding at night so much more pleasurable. Just my single 5 3/4" does a very good job of lighting up the road. But like you said, having just a 90 day warranty is a rip-off and a wash of hands their hands as far as HD is concerned.

And it shouldn't be up to the end user to fix design flaws on a brand new item like it was for me..

Interesting how Harley says the LED lights last soooo long but only has a 90 warranty.
Truck-Lite is 3 years!
If the Harley light goes bad, I won't be spending another $500 for a replacement light!

My dealer said that is a problem to be addressed. After-market items with longer warranty than Harley.

All HD accessories have only a 90 day warranty.

Ask customer service.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Back