free website stats program Up the Amps? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Up the Amps?

Thanks for the link, Jack!!

Do you think the manufacturer matters a lot? The Independent shop has no phase 3 kits and they are all on back order. They have single 32 amp stators of Accel and 32 amp Alternators by Custom Chrome. Then they have single 32 am kits from Harley (stator, rotor and alternator).

The CompuFire kit is intriguing as the rotor is vented -- I wonder how much that helps.

I'm going to call the Dealership and see if they have a 3 phase kit and what it costs otherwise, do you think Compufire's 40 amp 3 phase kit for $399.95 is the way to go?

I hate being under the gun to make these kinds of decisions -- especially when I don't know all I need to in order to make an informed decision.

Thanks for all the assistance,
CatWoman

CatWoman,
I have never used them but the guys over at Cycle Electrics (link below) have some interesting products.
But if your short on time, just do what you have to do.:)

http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/

Compufire makes a good product, Hoople has a good link here to These guys have been around a while

CatWoman,
I have never used them but the guys over at Cycle Electrics (link below) have some interesting products.
But if your short on time, just do what you have to do.:)

http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/

Many thanks again, Hoop!!

I checked out the cycle electric folks -- they look good, however due to my time constraint (got a job across the state to get to by next Monday and I'll be there 2 weeks). I don't think I want to be without my bike that long, plus I plan to leave out of here early enough to enjoy the ride. However, if I have to take the cage, I have to...I still want to do what is best for my bike.

I think I will go with the Compu Fire kit it's a 3 phase system at 40 amps -- I found it on Amazon ($338.51) at the Powersport Supperstore which is in Texas - kinda close. I tried calling them but they must have just closed for the day (5 pm) however their website says they are open until 6 pm CST (grrr). I want to see what their 'free shipping' time frame is so I guess I still can do a little more research until they open in the morning (10 am).

I'm intrigued by the vented rotor - I don't know how much it will help keep the stator cool, but that's what it is suppose to do.

Thanks for all the help -- I definitely need it!!!!

CatWoman

Many thanks again, Hoop!!

I checked out the cycle electric folks -- they look good, however due to my time constraint (got a job across the state to get to by next Monday and I'll be there 2 weeks). I don't think I want to be without my bike that long, plus I plan to leave out of here early enough to enjoy the ride. However, if I have to take the cage, I have to...I still want to do what is best for my bike.

I think I will go with the Compu Fire kit it's a 3 phase system at 40 amps -- I found it on Amazon ($338.51) at the Powersport Supperstore which is in Texas - kinda close. I tried calling them but they must have just closed for the day (5 pm) however their website says they are open until 6 pm CST (grrr). I want to see what their 'free shipping' time frame is so I guess I still can do a little more research until they open in the morning (10 am).

I'm intrigued by the vented rotor - I don't know how much it will help keep the stator cool, but that's what it is suppose to do.

Thanks for all the help -- I definitely need it!!!!

CatWoman

Good luck, I think the vented rotor will be a big plus:s

Okay,

So I went and purchased the Compu-Fire 3-phase Charging system -- received it yesterday. I hope I don't regret the decision. I had to replace the sprocket shaft seal and spacer (they supplied), however, now I'm in a bit of a pickle. The somewhat useless directions state:

"WARNING...Special tools are required in the installation of the rotor...extremely strong magnets....use Harley tool 41771 or Jims tool 758-147."

Is this REALLY true? I've always used two allen wrenches to remove magnet rotors and to align the rotor, putting it on. Can this rotor really have that much more strength to it? I cannot fabricate a tool at this time (no ability to weld) and I really don't want to spend the money on a tool I probably don't need.

Can anyone give me any advised on putting it on -- buy the tool (gulp) or give it a go the way I've always been successful in the past (albeit, not with a Compu-fire vented rotor).

Time, unfortunately is a bit of the essence, I have to ride out of town on Monday afternoon.

Thank you!!!
CatWoman

I would say the tool is not absolutely necessary. I can't imagine the magnets being any stronger than the ones used in the SE compensator rotor. I would wear gloves when installing and removing the rotor so if the rotor does does snap to the stator, it won't take off the tips of your fingers.

Just wear gloves and hold it firm when installing so it does not get away from you.

THANK YOU HOOP!!!! :small3d028:

I'll give it a try after i get the clutch basket back on (any tricks you know to get it on -- I had it fly off 2 times ago and it always makes me nervous. One shop told me you just need to look behind the basket to see if the key is in the right place -- I think this is the first time my head is too big!!! :lolrolling :lolrolling (I wear a small helmet). Just kidding, I'll try the mirror test again.

I'll let you know how it goes (basket and rotor)!!

CatWoman

Back