free website stats program Up the Amps? | Harley Davidson Forums

Up the Amps?

CatWoman

Hello All,

Just need a bit of advise, please. My stator requires replacing and will be doing the same for the regulator. My question is, would now be a good time to up the amperage of the system? Currently it's 32 amps and I don't really have a lot of extras on her but I did recently change out the radio and who knows about the future. :dknow

This is the series of steps that led me to discovering the stator problem. I developed a transmission seal leak that got just a little worse, so I opted to replace a bent shifting fork, thoroughly evaluate my starter and replace all 3 fluids (I do this part roughly every 3000 miles). The primary fluid was a bit dark (first hint) although no real change in smell. However, when I removed the rotor -- :small3d031: -- a definite burnt smell and two stator coils were burnt. Perhaps this is why the starter has been hesitating, the rear brake signal switch is gone for the 3rd time in 2 years and the passing lights abruptly stopped working last week. When I removed the stator the wires attaching it to the regulator had obvious cracks in the coatings about 3/4 inch from the stator (maybe shorting itself?). So, since I'm here--and having read elsewhere on the forum if I only change out the stator, the regulator will give out soon thereafter, they are both being replaced.

Hence, I figured ( :45: ) now would be a good time to up the amperage. So, what is involved with going from lets say 32 to 38 amps? Is that a significant enough increase? The main circuit breaker is only 30 amps, so I would need to change that to 40 amps. Anything else?

By the way, the shifting fork change was a breeze however, I did discover a small hole (actually a 2 inch crack) in one of my pipes. No time like the present to get that repaired!!!! :bigsmiley12: And, I brought the starter into a great electrical place -- they checked it out (all's good :newsmile071:) and replaced the positive post (stripped most of the way when I bought it) -- at NO charge!!!

So any guidance in the alternator/stator amperage would be greatly appreciated!!!! :hii

Thanks much,
CatWoman

Hey Cat,

If you are gonna do that, you need Stator, Rotor, and VR. I would suggest at least a 40 amp CB. The newer UCs have a high amp system for all the lights, camera and action load. There is also single vs. three phase, but that aught to be handled by your kit.

TQ

If you can do it, more important than going up in amps would be going to 3 phase. I would rather have a 3 phase 32 amp, than a 38 single phase.

There may be a kit to do that job.

Lots of good aftermarket high output kits out there shop around IMO bigger out put will be a big plus down the road:s

Thanks guys,

I like the 3 phase idea, Hoop, I just think I'm going to run out of time. I have to get her on the road by next Monday and with the holiday...not sure it would be possible. Any idea on what a 3 phase kit entails (more than the stator, coil and VR) as well as what it costs? Or where I can get one quickly? There is a great shop in town and on the availability I might do the switch.

CatWoman

Thanks guys,

I like the 3 phase idea, Hoop, I just think I'm going to run out of time. I have to get her on the road by next Monday and with the holiday...not sure it would be possible. Any idea on what a 3 phase kit entails (more than the stator, coil and VR) as well as what it costs? Or where I can get one quickly? There is a great shop in town and on the availability I might do the switch.

CatWoman

Call your local dealer for the upgrade alternator kit you may be surprised I bet they have the kit in stock:s

Call your local dealer for the upgrade alternator kit you may be surprised I bet they have the kit in stock:s

Thank you Jack, I'll try the independent store first (they stock an incredible amount of Harley parts) but then give the stealor a go...besides the stator, rotor and alternator, what does it include?

CatWoman

Thanks for the link, Jack!!

Do you think the manufacturer matters a lot? The Independent shop has no phase 3 kits and they are all on back order. They have single 32 amp stators of Accel and 32 amp Alternators by Custom Chrome. Then they have single 32 am kits from Harley (stator, rotor and alternator).

The CompuFire kit is intriguing as the rotor is vented -- I wonder how much that helps.

I'm going to call the Dealership and see if they have a 3 phase kit and what it costs otherwise, do you think Compufire's 40 amp 3 phase kit for $399.95 is the way to go?

I hate being under the gun to make these kinds of decisions -- especially when I don't know all I need to in order to make an informed decision.

Thanks for all the assistance,
CatWoman

Back