free website stats program Unwritten Rules for Group Riding | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Unwritten Rules for Group Riding

Here's a few more you might think about:
1) When you go "off throttle", either touch your breaks or shake your hand out to the side, hopefully the riders behind you will notice and get off too. Remember the break lights don't go on cuz ya let go of the throttle.
2) I don't think we "drop a foot off a peg" to indicate a Roadkill or debis in the road, we usually point at it. I don't think I'd drop my foot unless I was stopping, if ya ever pogo'd you'd know why.
3) Stay out of the middle of the lane or the edges, nothing worse than having the bike in front of you kicking up rocks and debris onto you and your bike. Stay in your position.
4) Pay attention to the bike in front of you at stops, corners or in traffic, make sure he goes before you do. I hit my buddys bike in the rear, thinking that he left and watching a van slow roll a stop once, thought I had killed him. In Sturgis one year there were 15 bike on bike accidents, all rear enders, 3 of em were fatial.
5) Have fun but think about what your doing, most of these guys'll tell ya, accidents can usually be prevented, stay alert, pretend that NO ONE can see you and don't ride beyond your skills. In a group there are old riders and new riders. Don't be afraid to slow down and fall back when you have to. I think Harley published a articule that said most accidents happen to riders with a new or different bike and within the first 6 months.
You don't want to be the one getting picked up off the pavement with a sponge and a spoon.

2) I don't think we "drop a foot off a peg" to indicate a Roadkill or debis in the road, we usually point at it. I don't think I'd drop my foot unless I was stopping, if ya ever pogo'd you'd know why.

Only time I use my foot to point a hazard out is when it's on the right side of my bike. Otherwise, I'd have to let go of the throttle to point at it with my right hand and then I'd be slowing down and becoming a hazard myself.

Im a little old fashioned I like to use hand signals along with my turn signals

Good point Dr., I use my left to point at everything, I gotta admit it must look a little dorky, with my arm up over my hardhat and my first diget pointing somewhere. I think I'm gonna suggest the "toe point" to the crew.

Back