free website stats program Unwritten Rules for Group Riding | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Unwritten Rules for Group Riding

The two beer rule might work for some people, but with me, I keep mine to one and then only with food. I guess I have a low torerance because two beers causes me to be more loopier than what normally I am.:D

The two beer rule might work for some people, but with me, I keep mine to one and then only with food. I guess I have a low torerance because two beers causes me to be more loopier than what normally I am.:D

Good point. I point out my "two beer rule" because that works for me and my riding buddies. The important thing is, as you mentioned, to know what is appropriate for you. It's about riding, and safety. Some days it isn't appropriate at all, but so long as you are keeping track and know your limits, it's all good. There's probably a chapter in the "Ride to Live" manual on it.. or would that be in the "Live to Ride" section? :33:

i made a mistake in a group ride this summer with some new riders and some old . we came to a stop sign on a back road . now i usualy block intersections but was just getting use to my new bike and ddnt. my girl was leadin she's been riding 3yrs . she went her sister then her brother ( both new ) then came my turn and i saw a pickup coming but i went anyway, ddnt want to leave the new alone but behind me was another new girl rider . she stopped to wait for the truck to go by and one guy (not new) behind her looked and figurd he could make it easily and romped it. the last guy yelld stop but it was too late and the bikes hit eachother and went down. luckily nobody got hurt too bad but much damage to both bikes . yup it was an accident lol but now some ppl arent friends anymore and refuse to ride with eachother :-( wish i would have waited but i try to keep an eye on my old lady's sister ,she's the newest.
anyway lol riding in a group is alot of fun but has its responsabilities. you cant just ride the way you would when alone ;-) you have to pay extra attention to new riders even if they'r just 'new' to the group.

i made a mistake in a group ride this summer with some new riders and some old . we came to a stop sign on a back road . now i usualy block intersections but was just getting use to my new bike and ddnt. my girl was leadin she's been riding 3yrs . she went her sister then her brother ( both new ) then came my turn and i saw a pickup coming but i went anyway, ddnt want to leave the new alone but behind me was another new girl rider . she stopped to wait for the truck to go by and one guy (not new) behind her looked and figurd he could make it easily and romped it. the last guy yelld stop but it was too late and the bikes hit eachother and went down. luckily nobody got hurt too bad but much damage to both bikes . yup it was an accident lol but now some ppl arent friends anymore and refuse to ride with eachother :-( wish i would have waited but i try to keep an eye on my old lady's sister ,she's the newest.
anyway lol riding in a group is alot of fun but has its responsabilities. you cant just ride the way you would when alone ;-) you have to pay extra attention to new riders even if they'r just 'new' to the group.

This is the reason for small groups and even smaller groups with new rides. You did not mention how many riders were in this group, but you said you usually block the intersection. Not a good idea. All you are doing is placing a line of vehicles behind you. These vehicles may contain folks that do not agree with you violation the traffic laws.

You could end up with vehicles spilting your group, making short passes into your group. And if your group attempts to prevent them from passing, you could end up with some bikes off the road. Remember, bike vs car, bike losses.

Plus you are riding with new riders. New riders mean longer intervals and more space for vehicle to pass and split your group. What's the problem with some bikes turning and other waiting for traffic to go by? They will catch up.

The group leader did not do their job. The rider at the head of the pack, is the leader. This leader should have given a basic do's and don'ts briefing before the ride. This is VERY important with new riders, or riders new to you group. It sounds like you had a gaggle of bikes, not a group.

At one time, everyone is a new rider. Everyone is, at times, new to group riding or riding with in a group. You have to ride your own ride, but the group leader as a responsiblity to let those in the group know what the precedures will be for stoplights, stopsigns, the group being spilt, routing, and final destination.

I still give a quick briefing when I lead. Even if it's the small group I normally ride with. If there's new folks, they get a full on briefing. If we have 10 bikes, the group is split into 2 groups of 5. And we don't block intersections or prevent others (cars, bikes or whatever) from passing us. It's just safer that way. If the group gets split up, everyone know where we are going. And as traffic resolves itself, the group will end up together again.

Last edited:
I'm a new (2 year) rider and felt intimidated by group riding at first. When I ride with a group I always get some information before the ride such as: who is leading and tailgunning; what lane position should I be in; what hand signals will be used; where are we going in case we get split; and how many are riding. Communication is important!
At first I was put in second lane position right behind the lead and that way I didn't experience the slingshot affect from being near the back. Now that I have more skill and confidence I was asked to tailgun for Test Our Metal and next year I'll be leading the pack.

It depends on which group I ride with for new riders riding up front or in the back. When I lead I like the newbies up front, go over common rules & hand signals. I think it is easier to keep track of the newbies there. I always tell everyone to ride his or her own ride. Sometimes I will stop the ride to go over rules with both new & riders that seam to forget that they where at one time a newbie. Politeness and curtsey works a lot for all.

oh ya man points well taken. that ride had 9bikes we usualy have 4or5 and i block intersections for the 1 thats going to stall or drop it turning , pickd it up many times. i wouldnt hold up traffic hardly ever ;-) that would be rude lol.
in a big group 20 or more i wouldnt think of it. i like stayin back and just ride. the more bikes the more you have to pay attention. i prefer ridin with a few buddies but its all good lol

getting back to the beer part,I saw a test on tv one time,where they gave a reaction test to 2 guys of similar size and build,then they gave a pint of beer to one guy,and a pint of water to the other.Set them aside for a half hour,and retested them.I kid you not,the guy that had the beer was NOTICEABLY SLOWER than the water guy.That was enough to drive/ride tea total.If I'm going to have a beer,I walk or taxi to and from.(wifey dont drive)or get a mate to give me a ride.

Not to insult anyone but a rider's education course teaches most of these signals and also attending a HOG meeting or ride you will be shown their group riding signals.

I know we all believe we can ride as well as we did back 40 years ago when we were in high school but a good safety course doesn't hurt anyone. I've learned something from all the ones I've gone through. :D

And you might meet some of the young hot chicks just learning to ride.:devil

Back